-

-

Mr. Keenan crowned Mr. ND at Walsh Hall’s signature event

| Friday, September 28, 2018

Freshman Logan Schott of Keenan Hall was crowned Mr. ND at the 18th annual pageant Thursday night in Washington Hall. The event, hosted by Walsh Hall, invites one candidate from each male’s dorm to showcase “their talent, intellect and humor” in the hopes of winning the crowning title “Mr. ND,” according to Walsh Hall’s Facebook page for the event.

All proceeds support Walsh’s signature charity, Joseph’s Academy in Chicago.

Nicole Simon | The Observer

Junior Patrick Paulsen of Morrissey Manor, left, freshman Logan Schott of Keenan Hall, center, and senior Tom Vaccaro of O’Neill Family Hall, accept their awards as Mr. Walsh, Mr. ND and Fan Favorite, respectively.

Sophomores Mackenzie Sheil and Victoria Ruesch, Walsh’s signature event commissioners, emceed the event in addition to planning it. They had help from other Walsh residents, including sophomore Sarah Galbenski, who sold tickets.

Galbenski said she loves the evening because it brings people together from all different dorms.

“We really love this event because every male’s dorm has someone to support,” she said. “It really fosters community not only among Walsh, but also among each of the men’s dorms.”

During the event, the contestants have a question-and-answer segment, followed by their own original act. Some notable performances this year included Mr. Dunne Nick Lampson’s original song about bleach, Mr. Sorin Rory VanDorpe’s ribbon twirling routine and Mr. Siegfried Patrick McGuire’s cooking show.

McGuire, sophomore president of Siegfried Hall, said it was an honor to represent his hall at the event. During his cooking show performance, he recreated Buddy the Elf’s iconic spaghetti dish from the movie Elf.

“My preparation was pretty minimal. I did some studying of the film. I also did some grocery shopping. I boiled the pasta beforehand,” McGuire said. “I definitely knew I wanted to represent Siegfried Hall as it deserves, but I was worried that I would not be able to do so. You know, a little bit of apprehension going in to it.”

Junior Patrick Paulsen of Morrissey Manor played the accordion for his performance, and his opening joke was one of the most applauded of the night.

“Before I hit puberty, my mom didn’t want me to associate with anyone who did sex, drugs or rock and roll, so she signed me up for accordion,” he said. “And now I go to Notre Dame.”

Paulsen played the national anthem on his accordion while the audience stood and sang the words. The crowd also stood and waved their phone lights back and forth during Mr. Carroll’s piano rendition of “Hallelujah.”

Even though there was a sense of community throughout the crowd, the event was first and foremost a competition.

The contestants were hoping to be crowned one of the night’s three prizes: Mr. ND, decided by Walsh Hall Staff, Mr. Walsh, decided by the contestants’ escorts and Fan Favorite, voted on by students through an online form.

This year’s Fan Favorite was Tom Vaccaro of O’Neill Family Hall, while Paulsen was named Mr. Walsh.

Ultimately, the coveted title Mr. ND was awarded to Schott, who represented Keenan Hall and sang Mulan’s “I’ll Make a Man out of You” while lifting weights.

“How do I feel? I feel amazing, I feel honored, and ready to just hold it in the silence of my heart, just holding it there, knowing that I have become Mr. ND,” he said.

About Nicole Simon

Contact Nicole