-

-

Notre Dame to take charge of University’s food inspections

| Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Through a deal with the St. Joseph County Health Department, Notre Dame will now be in charge of its own food inspections and have the ability to keep the results private, according to a South Bend Tribune report Wednesday.

While the health department will continue to do “initial inspections” of the University’s “new or remodeled food establishments,” Notre Dame will now be responsible for doing regular inspections of its dining halls and restaurants.

The health department has faced difficulties carrying out inspections throughout the county due to staffing issues, the Tribune reported. It will continue to conduct reviews of “consumer food complaints” at the University, receive reports from the University’s inspections and maintain the ability to audit the University.

The agreement runs through Aug. 1, 2019 and was implemented last month. The University’s inspections will be considered “private documents” and will not be available to the public, according to the report.

University spokesperson Dennis Brown told the Tribune in a prepared statement that the health department initiated the agreement.

“The county health department approached Notre Dame earlier this year asking that we conduct our own inspections,” he said. “We are willing to do that.”

However, according to the Tribune, Brown also said the agreement “contains substantial errors, including language concerning access to public records.”

The county has the right to ask the University to conduct its own inspections, the Indiana Health Department told the Tribune.

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report