-

-

Saint Mary’s RHA hosts spirit week to promote community

| Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Saint Mary’s College Residence Hall Association (RHA) is hosting Spirit Week, a week of events aimed to strengthen the Saint Mary’s community, executive board members senior Joanna Collins and junior Grace Kelly said.

To kick off the week, students tie-dyed shirts and made door decorations for their rooms, and as the week progresses there will be tours given through Le Mans Hall and Holy Cross Halls, doughnuts handed out Thursday morning and a preference night to conclude Spirit Week. The week’s events are inspired by events usually associated with sorority rush weeks.

“My hope was that we could still capture the essence of sorority rush week and showcase their fun events, but still cater it towards who we are as a College,” Kelly said in an email.

For example, RHA adjusted particular events — such as visiting sorority houses — to students touring two of the residence halls, Kelly said. Thursday night will end the week with a photo booth and resident assistants writing letters to students for preference night.

Preference night is a way for RHA to say, “Thanks for choosing Saint Mary’s, welcome to the community,” Collins said.

Both Collins and Kelly were looking forward to tie-dyed shirts that say ΣMX, the Greek letters for SMC. Collins said that the shirts were given out in a particular way so the students could maximize their socialization to take the time to create their shirts together.

RHA is in charge of several other events throughout the year, such as the Saint Mary’s formal, Lil Sibs Weekend, and first-year welcome events. For Spirit Week, Collins, Kelly and other executive board members began their work last semester, which has stirred even more excitement for the events, especially for Kelly. She said she had designed the shirts a while back, so she was looking forward to seeing how students customize it.

“My goal behind this night was that we could have something a little more hands-on for the students to participate in,” Kelly said.

The general theme of Spirit Week is embodying the community atmosphere that is present in many sororities. Kelly and Collins’s goal for Spirit Week this year is to bring the Saint Mary’s community together through active participation in events, they said.

“I think it’s a good way for the community to get together,” Collins said.

Collins said she wants students from different grades, different committee members within RHA and the larger campus community to enjoy each other’s company while having a fun time. Similarly, Kelly said she would like students to engage with each other to expand the Saint Mary’s community.

“I’m really hoping that girls will have a fun experience at our events and that they’ll bring students closer together through that shared experience,” Kelly said.

RHA put a lot of thought into events that will keep the students coming throughout the week, in order to fulfill their vision of an engaged sisterhood, Collins and Kelly said.

About Hannah Thomas

Contact Hannah