ND aims to repeat success at Schooner Classic

The Notre Dame women’s golf team will look to make an impact in its second competition of the fall season this weekend at the three-day Schooner Fall Classic in Norman, Okla.

The Irish will be hoping to build off of their seventh place team finish at the Minnesota Invitational Sept. 10-11, where they finished in the middle of a 15-team field. Notre Dame recorded a pair of top-20 individual finishes and shot a combined 882 over three rounds.

1538106370-3c6bee61f98888d-700x573
Irish freshman Claire Albrecht looks after her putt on the green during Notre Dame’s exhibition match on Aug. 24 at Warren Golf Course.

Irish freshman Claire Albrecht made the biggest splash for Notre Dame in her NCAA debut, shooting for par on two of three rounds and tying for 14th overall. Albrecht is set to headline Notre Dame’s five-player lineup this weekend. Senior Emma Albrecht finished one stroke behind her younger sister on her way to tying for 17th place overall. She is listed second on the Irish lineup for this weekend’s competition.

Both Albrecht's will be looking to place closer to the top and lead the Irish to another strong finish.

Seniors Maddie Rose Hamilton and Isabella DiLisio and sophomore Abby Heck will round out the rest of the team lineup.

Notre Dame junior Mia Ayer will compete individually.

The Irish will be facing another field of 15 teams this weekend. Notre Dame’s opponents will provide them with plenty of strong competition to face. Among the opposition will be five teams who finished in the top-25 during the 2017-18 season, including Alabama, last year’s national runner-up.

Last year, Notre Dame used a similarly competitive field to record a very impressive finish at Oklahoma. The Irish placed sixth as a team, and four Irish players (Emma Albrecht, Hamilton, DiLisio and Heck) all shot under 70 for at least one round. Playing on a familiar course against strong teams, Notre Dame will try to replicate last year’s success this weekend.

The Schooner Classic kicks off at 10:30 a.m. on Friday. Competition on Saturday and Sunday begins at 10:00 a.m. and 9:30 a.m., respectively. All competition will be held at the Belmar Golf Club in Norman, Okla.