Record-setting Emma Albrecht excels as student-athlete

Early last October, Emma Albrecht made history. The senior Irish golfer tied for first place at the Bettie Lou Evans Invitational at the University of Kentucky, shooting 211 through 54 holes — the best individual mark in tournament history. Albrecht’s victory was Notre Dame’s first individual win since 2014.

Albrecht did not stop there, posting multiple new program records in what was a landmark junior season. Unsurprisingly, Irish head coach Susan Holt said she has been pleased with Albrecht’s quality of play.

“To be honest, she’s played really, really well these past two years,” Holt said.

As a junior, Albrecht secured the best single season stroke average (per 18 holes) in team history with a 72.31 average. When accounting for the stroke averages in her freshman and sophomore years, Albrecht holds three of the top eight marks in program history. Cumulatively, Albrecht holds the program’s best-ever mark for career stroke average at 73.47. Albrecht also holds the lowest total 54-hole score within NCAA tournament play in program history, having shot 215 at the NCAA Madison Regional Tournament last May.

1536013113-69513d093490f68-700x550
Irish senior Emma Albrecht surveys the green during Notre Dame's exhibition game on Aug. 24 at Warren Golf Course.

Holt said she has been impressed by the regularity with which Albrecht plays at such a high level.

“She’s been a really consistent player; I think that is her strength,” she said. “She does everything pretty well, and she’s able to manage her game well because of that.”

Having only six players on the active roster, the golf team is a tightly-knit group. As an upperclassman, Albrecht has served as a clear role model for the team and a leader both on and off the course.

“Emma just leads by example, which is all you can ask for,” Holt said. “She’s easy to get along with, supportive of her teammates. She has a really good work ethic.”

Holt said Albrecht, a science-business major, has been able to strike a good balance, performing well on the course while also having earned both three All-ACC Academic Team awards and three WGCA (Women’s Golf Coach Association) All-American Scholar awards.

“She’s doing really well in school, [and] she manages her time well,” Holt said. “She gets out here a lot to practice and she puts in a lot of extra time. I think that’s been very well reflected in the way she’s been able to perform.

According to Holt, Albrecht has never been the most by-the-book player, avoiding any over-thinking. She has been able to find her rhythm by staying mentally relaxed.

“She keeps things pretty simple,” Holt said. “She’s not technical at all with her golf swing, she’s a feel player. She gets her yardage, she takes her shot and she gets up and executes. There’s a lot to be said for that in this game.”

Holt says she is looking forward to how the senior will close out her career with the Irish this season.

“I hope she continues to have lots of goals,” she said. “I’m excited to see her achieve all the things that she wants to this year.”

Albrecht and the Irish will face their first action of the season at the Minnesota Invitational next week. The tournament, to be held at the Prestwick Golf Club in Woodbury, Minn., will span Monday and Tuesday.