College to host third annual volleyball fundraiser match

The Sisters of the Holy Cross will play the Saint Mary’s College Board of Trustees in the third-annual volleyball match fundraiser Thursday at 6:30 p.m. at Angela Athletic and Wellness Complex. This fundraising event helps the Sisters fund various missions around the world. This year, the Sisters are focused on raising money to buy a bus for students at Our Lady of Holy Cross School (OLHCS) located in Kasoa, Ghana, in Africa.

The school’s enrollment has increased from roughly 100 students in 2006 to nearly 1,000 students. With the enrollment increase, it is important to maintain safe transportation for the students who walk long distances in order to receive an education, College sports information director Sarah Miesle said.

1539216696-adc1548d49fa8b3-700x425
Courtesy of Kerry Rose McDonald
The Sisters of the Congregation of the Holy Cross play members of the Board of Trustees in a volleyball match to raise money.

“The students in Ghana only have so many buses. It’s been a country that’s been affected by human trafficking,” Miesle said. “A new bus would help serve about 65 students who currently walk anywhere between a half hour to 45 minutes one way to get to school.”

The annual fundraiser started as an idea between the Chair of the Board of Trustees, Mary Burke, and Sister Suzanne Brennan of the Sisters of the Holy Cross. They wanted to promote community on campus while supporting the mission work of the Sisters.

In addition to the volleyball match, there will be performances from the College’s a cappella group, dance team and community band. Other activities include a poster contest for the best poster cheering on the Sisters or the Board of Trustees in which students have the chance to win free smoothies from Murphy’s Cafe. Popcorn, pom poms and informational tables will also be included with the event.

“We know it’s a crazy week because of midterms,” Miesle said. “We just want people to come and have a great time. We are really optimistic that we are going to reach our fundraising goal this year. I think that at this point in the week that we all need something fun and relaxing to have, so this will be the place to be on Thursday.”

Miesle said an anonymous donor will match the donations up to $31,500, which can buy a new bus.

“Today we are over $20,000 toward that fundraising goal so it’s not really an expectation for students to have to give a huge amount of money. Help as you can,” she said.

According to a poster located in the Saint Mary’s Athletic facility, purchasing a bus that seats 32 students would enhance attendance rates, promote academic success and ensure safety for the students of OLHCS.

“If you’ve never been, come and see what it’s all about,” Miesle said. “It’s not a huge time consuming event by any means, but it’s meant to help build community on the College’s campus, and I don’t think you could come and not leave with a smile on your face.”

Those who attend this event can promote the mission by using #GhanaGetTheBus on social media.