-

-

Sports

Irish in the NFL

| Friday, October 12, 2018

Josh Adams — Philadelphia Eagles

Adams was picked up by the Eagles as an undrafted free agent after the 2018 NFL Draft. He was moved up from the practice squad to the active roster on Sept. 18. Adams ran for 30 yards on six carries in his first-career NFL game against Indianapolis.

Matthias Farley — Indianapolis Colts

Entering his third season in the NFL and with the Colts, Farley has emerged as a leader for the squad. He has recorded 19 tackles in his five games this season and he has also forced one fumble. Last week, during the Colts’ loss to New England, Farley intercepted Patriots quarterback Tom Brady.

Will Fuller — Houston Texans

Fuller is in his third season with Houston, and continues to be a favorite target for Texans quarterback Deshaun Watson. Fuller has been targeted 28 times so far this season, 19 of those catches for 278 yards and three touchdowns, as well as 15 first downs. Fuller’s two best games came in his first two games of the season, picking up 113 yards against the Tennessee Titans and 101 yards against the New York Giants.

Observer File Photo

Former Irish wide receiver Will Fuller runs for a touchdown during Notre Dame 5-43 win over North Carolina on Oct. 11, 2014, at Notre Dame Stadium.

Romeo Okwara — Detroit Lions

Okwara is in is third season in the League, but his first with the Lions. In his first four games with the squad, he has tallied three sacks and seven tackles. These three sacks make up three fourths of his career sacks, as he has recorded four in his three years in the NFL.

Isaac Rochell — Los Angeles Chargers

Rochell was drafted in 2017 by the Chargers, and has played in each game so far this season, helping the team to a 3-2 record. He has recorded 13 tackles on the year, five of which came in one game against Buffalo. Rochell also grabbed his first-career interception this season against San Francisco.

Kyle Rudolph — Minnesota Vikings

Rudolph is in his eighth season with the Vikings and the tight end has become a stalwart in the offense. He is 23-of-27 targets this season and has recorded 229 receiving yards so far for two touchdowns and 15 first downs.

Jaylon Smith — Dallas Cowboys

Smith was drafted in 2016 by the Cowboys and is putting up big numbers five weeks into the season. He has recorded 41 combined tackles with Dallas this year, 25 of which have been solo, and he racked up 12 in the team’s Week 5 matchup against the Texans, including three for a loss. Houston walked away with the win, but Smith’s performance for Dallas earned him a spot on the Pro Football Team of the Week. He has also notched three sacks on the season so far.

Observer File Photo

Former Irish linebacker Jaylon Smith prepares for play to start during Notre Dame’s 50-43 win over North Carolina on Oct. 11, 2014, at Notre Dame Stadium.

Harrison Smith — Minnesota Vikings

Smith is another Irish NFL veteran, in his seventh season in the League, all of which have been spent with Minnesota. He continues to make his presence known in the Vikings secondary, with 25 combined tackles, nearly all of those coming unassisted. Smith is again a presence all over the field this season, also tallying two sacks and an interception — the 18th of his career.

Golden Tate — Detroit Lions

Nine seasons into his NFL career and five into his time with the Lions, Tate is posting a 64.7 percent reception rate, with 33 receptions for 431 yards and three touchdowns. He is averaging 86.2 yards per game, more than his 83.2 yard average during his first season in Detroit in 2014, when he was selected to the Pro Bowl. Tate also has one carry for nine yards on the season.

Stephon Tuitt — Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers defensive end Stephon Tuitt is in his fifth season with Pittsburgh. After missing four games last season with bicep and back injuries, Tuitt has started all five games so far this year. He has amassed 17 total tackles and defended a pass this season.

Irish on the offensive line

Zack Martin is in his fifth season as a guard with the Dallas Cowboys.

Nick Martin is in his third season at center with Houston.

Tackle Mike McGlinchey was drafted in the spring by the San Francisco 49ers.

Guard Quenton Nelson was drafted in the top 10 by the Indianapolis Colts.

Ronnie Stanley is in his third season with the Baltimore Ravens, playing offensive tackle.

Center John Sullivan is entering his 11th season in the League and plays for the Los Angeles Rams.

Tags: