-

-

Men’s Soccer

Notre Dame drops final home game to Virginia Tech

| Tuesday, October 23, 2018

After dropping their last regular season home game to Virginia Tech, the Irish will travel to Charlottesville to face No. 6 Virginia tonight.

The Irish (8-5-1, 3-3 ACC) dropped their home season finale 5-2 to the Hokies (9-4-2, 3-3-1 ACC), a game split into two different halves. Notre Dame took an early lead 1-0 within the 2nd minute off fifth year midfielder Blake Townes’ header, and it doubled its lead with senior forward Thomas Ueland’s finish off of a through ball.

Connery McFadden | The Observer

Irish senior forward Ian Aschieris attacks upfield during Notre Dame’s 2-1 overtime loss to Indiana on Sept. 11 at Alumni Stadium.

Virginia Tech came out fighting, putting its first point on the board within 20 seconds of the second half. Less than five minutes later, the Hokies tied 2-2, and within the 59th minute the momentum carried them into a 3-2 lead that resulted from a shot curling just inside the far post. Before the final whistle blew, Virginia Tech scored two more goals to run away with the win at Alumni Stadium.

After the match against Virginia Tech that looked like two different games, the Irish are picking up their game against Virginia which was postponed on September 14 due to Hurricane Florence.

Notre Dame will take on the Virginia at Klockner Stadium for its opponent’s final home game of the regular season. The teams will meet for the 14th time tonight, with the Irish trailing in the series 3-7-3. The last matchup was on November 8 of last season, when Virginia walked away with a 2-1 victory in the ACC Quarterfinal. 

The Irish are 5-1 in matches away from home on the season, and they will face the Cavaliers, who recently lost to No. 1 Wake Forest last Saturday 3-2, tonight at 7 p.m.

Tags: ,