-

-

Men’s Soccer

No. 20 Notre Dame to take on Northwestern after defeating Boston College

| Tuesday, October 2, 2018

The Irish are traveling to Evanston, Ill., for a non-conference match against Northwestern on Tuesday night at 8 p.m.

No. 20 Notre Dame (5-3-1) shut out Boston College (2-3-3, 1-3-0 ACC) in a 1-0 victory Friday evening on its home turf, resulting in a 9-4-1 overall series record. Similar to previous matches, the Irish did not score the winning goal until the second half.

During the first 45 minutes, Notre Dame created a couple chances off of corner but were unable to put any in the back of the net. Jumping into the second half, the Irish put pressure on the Eagles defense, leading to sophomore midfielder Aiden McFadden’s third goal of the season in the 49th minute. McFadden found the end of junior midfielder Jack Casey’s through ball and poked the ball past the rushing keeper.

Connery McFadden

The Irish had a couple more chances with senior midfielder Sean MacLeod’s shot bouncing off the keeper, who grabbed the rebound off the post, and senior midfielder Thomas Ueland’s shot curling wide. Within the 76th minute, a Boston College player’s late challenge resulted in a red card and Notre Dame closed the game at 1-0.

After not allowing a goal in the first half of any match and shutting out the Eagles for the entire 90 minutes, the Irish will turn their attention to the Wildcats, who are 4-4-2 (0-3-1 Big 10) so far this season and just lost 2-0 to No. 19 Michigan on Saturday.

Last year the teams went into overtime for the third-straight year, but then-No. 9 Notre Dame walked away with a 2-1 comeback victory at Alumni Stadium. The Wildcats scored at the 36th minute and the Irish didn’t tie until senior defender Felicien Dumas scored in the 80th minute. Jon Gallagher netted the game-winning header in the 99th minute.

In the last 10 meetings between the two squads, Notre Dame is 2-4-4 against Northwestern. The game will be at Martin Stadium at 8 p.m. on Tuesday.