-

-

ND Volleyball

Notre Dame returns for conference two-game homestand

| Friday, October 26, 2018

After one win and one loss on the road last weekend, Notre Dame returns home to take on Syracuse and Boston College this weekend.

The Irish (12-8, 6-4 ACC) were swept in three sets by Pittsburgh last Friday before earning a win against Virginia on Sunday. Now, the team returns to Purcell Pavilion to face two more ACC opponents with just eight games left on the regular season schedule. 

The 3-0 loss to Pittsburgh stemmed from a large comeback by the Panthers in the first set, an early lead in the second set, and Pittsburgh taking the lead after both teams stood tied at 11 in the third set to record the sweep. 

Bouncing back from their loss, the Irish picked up a 3-1 win over Virginia in Charlottesville. They fell in the first set 26-24, but they took the next three frames 25-11, 25-17, and 25-15. Junior outside hitter Jemma Yeadon led the team with 18 kills, reaching her 1,000th career kill in the third set and becoming the 23rd player in program history to reach that milestone. The Mercer Island, Washington, native has now recorded double digit kills in 13 matches this year.

Returning to Purcell Pavilion, Notre Dame will host the 12th-annual Block Out Cancer match against Syracuse (12-6, 8-2 ACC) on Friday. There will be a silent auction and shirts for sale on the upper concourse of Gate 9 by the concession stand, with all proceeds going to the St. Joseph Health System and its Foundation for Cancer Research.

The Irish and Orange will meet for the 32nd time, with Notre Dame currently winning the all-time series 23-8. The Irish have also won two of the last three meetings, one a 3-1 victory last season in November in Purcell.

On Sunday, Notre Dame will host Boston College (13-9, 3-7) for the 22nd time, with the Irish having won 17 of the previous 21 match ups. The Irish have recorded three straight victories since October 9, 2016 against the Eagles, highlighted by last season when Notre Dame went on the road and swept its ACC rival.

The Irish will face the Orange Friday at 7 p.m. for the Block Out Cancer match and the Eagles Sunday at 1 p.m.

Tags: ,