-

-

Such a time as this

| Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Lack of diversity, and a lack of care to invite others’ perspectives, seems to be the trend in many learning environments — especially higher learning.

As beautiful as my journey has been, it has not been without its thorns. Given the political climate and the many things going on around me, I would forever regret failing to earnestly address one thorny issue about my journey. Over the years, attending a Predominantly White Institution (“PWI”) has swelled my emotions in ways I never anticipated. This is despite enjoying rich relationships with many of my colleagues that walk the campus of the University of Notre Dame alongside me. This is despite knowing that attending Notre Dame is a decision I would make again. However, I must also acknowledge the strain that the dearth of diversity and the sparseness of experiences available to engage in open dialogue has had. It deprived me and my university family of the most fertile soil in which life’s most unforgettable lessons take root in our minds. The Mission of Notre Dame states (in part), “the intellectual interchange essential to a university requires, and is enriched by, the presence and voices of diverse scholars and students.” My only disappointment is the sense that solutions to weighty issues affecting our everyday lives are left undiscovered because we fell short in engaging everyone in ways that are transformative, meaningful and lasting.

I love human connection. And, irrespective of race, identity or social status, I delight in being around people of ALL social, political and economic backgrounds. We were all put on this earth to coexist. Unfortunately, we struggle to coexist as ONE. My sincere hope in writing this is that we dedicate ourselves to correcting the wrongs of our past. I hope we can get to a place of love, peace and true coexistence. Our academic institutions are struggling to make their campuses more diverse in color and experience.

In any event, sometimes one must step out of their comfort zones to truly be the change they wish to see in the world. I stepped out of my comfort zone when I chose to attend the University of Notre Dame — a step that has been far from easy.

Now, I am asking you to do the same — especially at such a time as this.

Cameasha L. Turner

Third Year Law Student

Oct. 7

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email [email protected]