Notre Dame completes ITA Midwest Regional

The Notre Dame women’s tennis team competed at the ITA Midwest Regional in Ann Arbor, Michigan this past weekend, facing Big 10 schools including Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, Illinois and Ohio State among other competition. The women generated a good amount of success in the first round, but faltered in later rounds. The doubles duo of sophomore Cameron Corse and junior Zoe Spence, however, advanced to the quarterfinals in the main doubles draw before finally falling. Irish head coach Alison Silverio said the team’s performance saw flashes of promise, but was inconsistent overall.

“We certainly had success in the first round, and it was great to see Cameron and Zoe get to the later rounds and battle to the quarterfinals … as a team in our first rounds we were able to compete very well, in our second round we weren't able to convert quite as many as in the first round,” Silverio said.

1540433261-eb95c5a135e7003-700x467
Observer File Photo
Irish senior Rachel Chong, left, and doubles partner junior Bess Waldram await a volley during Notre Dame’s 4-0 win over Pittsburgh on Feb. 24 at Eck Tennis Pavilion. Chong is the lone senior on the team.

In the singles, sophomore Ally Bojczuk won her first round, but lost in the second to Michigan. Senior Rachel Chong won against Northwestern but lost in the second round to Michigan. Spence won in the first and second round against Northwestern and Illinois, and lost in the round of 16 to Michigan. Graduate student Brooke Broda won her first round against Ohio State and lost the second to Northwestern. Corse won against Michigan State but fell to Illinois. Freshman Maeve Koscielski lost to Northwestern in the first round.

In doubles, the team of Bojczuk and junior Bess Waldram lost to Northwestern in the second round 8-4. Koscielski and freshman Zoe Taylor lost in the first round to Bowling Green 8-0. Rachel Chong and Brooke Broda lost in the second round 8-2 to Northwestern. After a bye, the team of Spence and Corse beat Illinois State 8-7 and Michigan 8-2, eventually losing to Northwestern 8-7 in the quarterfinals.

Silverio said the tournament allowed the team to learn lessons for the future and provided motivation to do better in the future.

“We have to get tougher, we have to sustain our level of performance throughout a whole match,” Silverio said. “We have to be able to compete even if we aren't feeling our best, the tournament was a great lesson we learned as a team, and we’re definitely gonna use that as motivation in practices. Each of our girls have been working extremely hard, so we’re gonna focus on translating the work we do in practice onto the matches, a lot of good experience came for us today.”

The Irish will cap off the fall section of their 2018-2019 season with the Notre Dame Invitational at the Eck Tennis Pavilion. The meet will run from Nov. 2-4.