-

-

A plea to vote on Tuesday

| Monday, November 5, 2018

This Tuesday, we have the mid-term elections. There have been reports that say that there is a good chance voter turn-up is going to be up this year, especially among younger voters. In a period that is marked by extreme partisanship, I think it’s more important than ever to reach out and ask that everyone get out to the polls and vote on Tuesday. While partisanship isn’t something that is going to be fixed overnight, something we can do at the very least is make sure our elections are representative of the sentiments that Americans have.

Our democracy is one that requires the participation of the public in order to function properly, and the more people get out, the more likely it is that our government will represent its citizens. When you look back, it’s almost crazy to imagine that people in our country fought and died to protect the idea of liberty through democracy. Now we have to reach out — with articles like this — to get people, especially the younger voters, to simply exercise that right.

But, I’m willing to reach out and I hope those reading this will reach out to others too. Working to make our elected officials better represent our interests is worth the effort. We are extremely lucky that we decide who gets to take on the power of elected office. Many Americans have died in order to protect that right, don’t let their efforts be for waste because voting seems inconvenient.

Get out and vote on Tuesday, Nov. 6!

Kit Jones

senior

Nov. 4 2018

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email [email protected]