-

-

irish insider

Dew-Treadway’s patience remains constant

| Friday, November 9, 2018

Micah Dew-Treadway represents everything that makes Notre Dame special. The senior defensive lineman embodies all of the values that Notre Dame tries to instill in its students, both as a teammate and a man.

Treadway entered Notre Dame in 2015 as a talented recruit hoping to make an impact for the Fighting Irish. A star player in high school, he came to Notre Dame and redshirted his freshman year. Unfortunately, Treadway didn’t get much more playing time sophomore year, as his season came to an end when he broke his foot.

To begin his junior year, Treadway still wasn’t getting the amount of playing time he had hoped, a hard transition to make for anyone, especially for someone as talented as him.

Eddie Griesedieck

Irish senior defensive lineman Micah Dew-Treadway rushes the offense during Notre Dame’s 56-27 win over Wake Forest on Sept. 22 at BB&T Field.

“It’s been difficult, especially my first couple of years, I lost confidence in myself. Not being on the field is tough,” Treadway said.

This adversity is where Treadway’s story begins, because he didn’t let it bring him down. Instead, the Bolingbrook, Illinois native used his experience as a stepping stone to become the person he is today. By learning how to wake up every day, determined to be a champion in everything he does, Treadway has grown as a person and a player.

“Through my experience, I have matured in the way that my parents and God would want me to. It helped me as man, and I still have a long way to go, but it’s been a blessing. My experience also allowed me to experience things off the field, such as building relationships with friends and teachers,” Treadway said.

Treadway’s favorite moment came during his junior season, in which he was able to help Notre Dame rout USC at home. After Treadway and Notre Dame had a difficult 2016 season, this game illustrated all of the hard work and dedication he and his teammates had given together.

“We were all playing into our new identity and we were set on killing USC. Everyone played and there was no drop off, the physicality and brotherhood that we showed was important and leapfrogged us to where we are now,” Treadway said.

The impressive turnaround has continued throughout last season and into this season. Now, Treadway is part of an undefeated team set on winning a championship. Treadway believes that his experience playing football for a Notre Dame program, in which he has had personal and collective ups and downs, has prepared him to be the best man he can possibly be.

“It has been the ultimate life lesson to play football for Notre Dame, especially considering the journey I have gone through. There is nothing that will prepare you more than having to grind for four years every single day. School is a great reminder that when you get to the real world, nobody is going to hold your hand,” Treadway said.

Both on and off the football field, Treadway is looking forward to what the rest of his time at Notre Dame has in store for him.

“My favorite non-football part of Notre Dame is my dorm. I love the events and being around all of my best friends who aren’t athletes,” Treadway said.

On the football field, Treadway is excited for what Notre Dame can, and will, accomplish.

“When we make this run, the experience and feeling we will get will be amazing. Since January, there has been so much blood, sweat and tears to make the transition to be champions. It won’t just be in football — guys on the team understand what we’ve been through, learning to have a championship mentality in everything you do every single day. Every day we step up with a championship mentality in the classroom, in the weight room and on campus,” Treadway said.

Treadway, perhaps more than most, truly understands what it means to overcome obstacles and sacrifice for the people around him.

“As a young man here, I have given everything possible for my teammates. Every day that I have came here, even with losing confidence and getting selfish and inside my head, I know that I can be there supporting my teammates. Whether by making plays for them, giving them a ride, feeding them, or letting them come over when they need a place to stay. I did everything I could for my teammates, because in the long run, when I have my family and look back, those are the guys who are going to understand what it took to progress here and become the man that I will be someday,” Treadway said.

When asked how he would like to be remembered, Treadway responded, “I want guys to say, ‘that guy was a hell of a teammate.’”

Just like Notre Dame’s football team, Treadway’s journey is far from over.

“I’ve learned so much about my game and life in general. There are a lot more plays for me to make.”

About Luke Brizzolara

Contact Luke