Former Irish captain Becca Huffer earns LPGA Tour Card

Former Irish golfer Becca Huffer recently earned her LPGA Tour Card, making her the first golfer to earn her way onto the illustrious tour for Notre Dame in the program’s 30-year tradition.

Huffer, a native of Littleton, Colorado, entered Notre Dame a highly sought-after recruit, having won the state championship for Littleton High School her sophomore year. While under head coach Susan Holt, Huffer helped lead the team to a Big East Championship and their first NCAA championship appearance her junior season, posting a team-leading tie for 35th place to help pace the Irish for a 24th-place finish. The two-time team MVP and 2011-2012 team captain was dominant in one of the program’s final seasons in the Big East, being named four-time all conference and winning the Big East Sports Excellence Award in her final season with the Irish.

Huffer has spent the past six years in the minor Symetra Tour, where she recorded 10 top-10 finishes, three of which have come in the past year. In addition to an impressive hole-in-one she hit earlier this season, she’s posted top-10 stats in four different categories: sub-par holes, birdies, total rounds played and eagles. Her other post-graduate accomplishments include qualifying for the 2012 U.S. Women’s Open and winning the 2013 Colorado Women’s Open.

She was awarded this prestigious honor on Saturday following a 10th place finish at the LPGA Q-Series at Pinehurst Course in Pinehurst, North Carolina. The tournament provides the top-45 finishers with membership into the LPGA. Huffer shot under par in half of the eight rounds, carding a 3-under-par 573, shooting below par (72) in half of her rounds, on the whole tournament. Huffer is joining the largest and most well-known tour for elite female golfers with over 500 members, nearly half of whom are actively competing.