-

-

Men’s Tennis

Irish split squad, earn victories in Minnesota and Florida

| Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Notre Dame split up over the weekend to take on two separate tournaments. The squad competed in the Gopher Invitational hosted by the University of Minnesota and the Dick Vitale Clay Court Invitational in Florida. And for the Irish, two separate challenges meant two separate victories this weekend.

Ann Curtis | The Observer

Irish senior Grayson Broadus prepares to hit a forehand in Notre Dame’s 6-1 loss to North Carolina.

Playing as a pair, junior Matt Gamble and senior Grayson Broadus were named champions of the Gopher Invitational. The duo ended the tournament with a victory in doubles while also tallying seven individual victories combined. Gamble and Broadus also earned a victory four separate times in a best-of-three play style, defeating each opponent 2-1.

Another Irish duo in the Gopher Invitational, sophomore Tristan McCormick and senior Daniel Rayl, lost their first matchup of the tournament 2-1. Nevertheless, the pair bounced back, finishing ninth overall in the tournament and first on their side of the bracket. McCormick went undefeated in singles play throughout.

The duo of sophomore Richard Ciamarra and senior Nathan Griffin finished 13th in the tournament. They managed to claim a 2-1 victory over Marquette and a sweep of Northwestern to close out their tournament appearance.

Meanwhile, in Florida, four Irish team members competed in the Dick Vitale Clay Court Invitational, and three — freshman Axel Nefve, junior Guillermo Cabrera and sophomore William Howells — moved onto the second round. All of them would go on to compete in the semifinals, and, coincidentally, Nefve and Cabrera faced off in the round for a chance at the finals. After a hard-fought battle, Nefve took the victory, beating Cabrera 2-1 (6-3, 4-6, 10-8). Meanwhile, across the bracket, Howells defeated his opponent from Illinois to earn a spot in the finals against Nefve. Axel Nefve went on to defeat teammate Howells 6-2, 6-3 to earn the championship title.

After a successful weekend, the Irish will conclude their fall season in Surprise, Arizona, where senior Alex Lebedev will compete in the ITA Fall National Championships.

Tags: , , , , ,

About Connor Mulvena

Contact Connor