-

-

Men’s Tennis

Lebedev caps off successful fall season with Fall Nationals Consolation Title

| Tuesday, November 13, 2018

After a successful fall season for Notre Dame men’s tennis, the program was able to finish on a high note and collect yet another trophy on the year as senior Alex Lebedev took home the 2018 Oracle ITA Fall National Championship consolation title.

After losing his opening-round match to Cornell’s David Volfson in three sets, Lebedev was entered into the consolation draw — facing a long road ahead of him if he was to walk away a winner. In the opening round of 32, Lebedev faced off against Yancy Dennis of South Carolina and won in straight sets, 6-2, 6-3. In the round of 16, facing Kareem Allaf of Iowa, Lebedev encountered a bit more of a scare, winning the first set 6-3 but losing the second 7-6. Ultimately, he was able to pull out the deciding set 6-3 to secure the victory.

In the quarterfinals, Lebedev was matched up against Tim Ruehl of Arizona State and won in two sets, 7-5, 6-3. Ricky Hernandez-Tong of New Mexico awaited in the semifinals, where once again Lebedev won in two sets, taking the match 6-4, 6-3 and advancing to the championship match. Facing Stanford’s Sameer Kumar, Lebedev took a tight first set 6-4 and rode that momentum into the second set to win decisively, 6-1. In five rounds, he only lost one set en route to the consolation title.

Notre Dame tennis is now finished with collegiate action until Jan. 19 and is heading into the semester break on a high note, preparing to rest and train for the next two months. In its last four tournaments, Notre Dame has taken home seven trophies — with Lebedev’s being the latest to cap off fall play — and will look to add more hardware in the spring season.