-

-

Men’s Tennis

Notre Dame prepares for busy weekend of travel

| Friday, November 2, 2018

The Notre Dame men’s tennis team will be splitting up this weekend to compete in two separate tournaments: the Gopher Invitational hosted by Minnesota and the Dick Vitale Clay Court Invitational.

Ann Curtis | The Observer

Irish senior Grayson Broadus prepares to hit a forehand in Notre Dame’s 6-1 loss to North Carolina.

The Gopher Invitational will run Friday through Sunday at the Baseline Tennis Center in Minneapolis, Minn., where 11 teams will compete. Beyond Notre Dame and Minnesota, the field includes Dartmouth, Denver, DePaul, Drake, Marquette, Nebraska, Northwestern, Utah and Wisconsin.

The Irish faced off against DePaul, Marquette and Northwestern during their last competition — the Midwest ITA Regionals on Oct. 18, which Notre Dame hosted. During the ITA Regionals, half of Notre Dame’s 10 athletes advanced to the Round of 16 in singles, while sophomore doubles partners Tristan McCormick and Richard Ciamarra qualified for a spot at the ITA Fall Nationals with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Ohio State in the finals.

At the same time, four members of the Notre Dame squad will be heading to Lakewood Ranch Golf and Country Club in Lakewood Ranch, Calif., to take part in the Dick Vitale Clay Court Invitational, a charity tournament founded in 2010 to raise money for The V Foundation for Cancer Research. The field includes players from Michigan, Louisville, Princeton, Florida, Florida State, United States Naval Academy, Florida Gulf Coast, Illinois and Oklahoma State. For the Irish, juniors Johnathan Small and Guillermo Cabrera, sophomore William Howells and freshman Axel Nefve will be competing.

Additionally, senior Alex Lebedev was ranked 19th in the Oracle ITA preseason rankings, Ciamarra ranked 88th in those same single rankings and the Oracle ITA ranked the doubles pair of McCormick and Howells 58th.

Tags: , , , , , ,