-

-

Hockey

Notre Dame prepares to host two-game series against RPI

| Friday, November 30, 2018

After defeating Northern Michigan 2-1 at home Tuesday night in an overtime battle, No. 8 Notre Dame will take on Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) in a non-conference two-game series at Compton Family Ice Arena this weekend.

The Irish (8-4-1, 4-2 Big Ten) will be taking on RPI (4-7, 3-3 ECAC) for the 11th time in program history this Friday, and after 10 contests, the Irish hold the record advantage at 6-4-0. The Irish played the Engineers last season on the road in Troy, New York, and took both games of a two-game series, during which now junior goaltender Cale Morris recorded one shutout, a .984 save percentage, and allowed just one goal on 63 shots. The second game of last season’s series between the Irish and the Engineers went into overtime, and junior forward Cam Morrison slotted a goal only 13 seconds into the overtime to hand the Irish the 1-0 victory.

The Irish are 4-2-1 against non-conference opponents so far this season, and this weekend’s series will mark the final stretch of a break in conference play, as Notre Dame will head to State College, Pennsylvania, to take on Penn State next weekend.

Heading into this weekend, the Irish are on a season-high four-game win streak in which Morris is 3-0-0 with a .959 save percentage and sophomore goaltender Dylan St. Cyr is 1-0-0 with a .931 save percentage. Junior defenseman Andrew Peeke has a three-game point streak going during this win streak as well.

After starting the season 3-3-1, the Irish have bounced back considerably, going 5-1-0 since the start. Last season Notre Dame started 3-3-1 as well, and after that start, the Irish went on a program record 16-game winning streak which ultimately paved the way for a successful postseason including the Big Ten conference title and a national championship appearance.

The series this weekend will begin on Friday night, with the puck planned to drop at 7 p.m.