Notre Dame rebounds from 3-1 loss to Florida State to sweep Miami in home series

Notre Dame split its games this weekend at Purcell Pavilion with a loss to Florida State on Friday followed by a rebound win over Miami on Sunday.

The Irish (15-9, 9-5 ACC) couldn’t handle the Seminoles (15-8, 11-2 ACC) as they lost 3-1. Florida State was paced by junior outside hitter Payton Caffrey, its season leader in kills with 365. Caffrey contributed 24 kills over the Irish. Notre Dame kept it close as the game was tied up at 16 before losing in the first set by two points, but then were outplayed in the second set losing 25-16. The team managed to flip the momentum in the third set, winning 25-23, before a heavily contested final set. The fourth set was so competitive it extended beyond the 25-point threshold. The Irish managed to build themselves a comfortable 17-12 lead but that would fall short of the Seminole comeback as Florida State ultimately escaped with the 29-27 win, bringing an end to Notre Dame’s three-game win streak.

1541379252-03d99c6cfd0baf9-469x700
Irish freshman right side hitter Sydney Bent spikes the ball during Notre Dame's 3-1 win over Boston College on Oct. 28 at Purcell Pavilion.

The freshman combination of right side hitter Sydney Bent and outside hitter Charley Niego led Notre Dame with 20 and 15 kills, respectively. Meanwhile, junior outside hitter Jemma Yeadon contributed 13 kills against the Seminoles. The Irish defense was balanced as senior libero Ryann DeJarld had 18 digs, Niego had 14 and Bent had 12. Freshman setter Zoe Nunez also contributed 52 assists in the loss.

The Irish did respond, however, with a strong showing against Miami (13-8, 9-5 ACC). Notre Dame swept the Hurricanes behind to another standout performance from the freshmen. Bent led the team in kills again with 14, and tied senior middle blocker Meg Morningstar in leading the team in blocks with seven apiece. Nunez had 35 assists and DeJarld had another 15 digs in the win.

Unlike Friday’s game in which Notre Dame recorded 25 total errors, the team only had 10 on Sunday.

In the first set against the Hurricanes, Notre Dame dominated throughout as Miami never once conceding the lead. The second set was a tighter contest as the teams were tied multiple times culminating at a 21-21 deadlock. However, the Irish pulled away to win the set 25-22.  The third set was an offensive display by the Irish as they posted 17 total kills in the frame. However, Miami managed to keep the score close, but Niego and senior outside hitter Rebecca Nunge recorded timely kills to give the Irish another 25-22 set win and complete the sweep.

The Irish will return to Purcell Pavilion to host North Carolina State this Friday before heading south to Tallahassee, Florida, for a rematch against the Seminoles on Nov. 11. With four games of ACC play remaining in the regular season, the Irish are currently ranked fourth in the conference.