-

-

irish insider

Plantz perseveres, stays committed to Irish

| Friday, November 9, 2018

Logan Plantz bleeds blue and gold. For the offensive linemen, a 2018 political science graduate and current student in the Masters of Business Management graduate program, it’s a family affair. His father, Ron Plantz ’86, also played offensive line for the Irish.

“[I was] kind of born and raised in the blue and gold, in the sense that it was kind of a dream of mine, and it was what we watched on Saturdays or what we talked about at Friday night dinners of who they were playing growing up,” Plantz said. “It was what I idolized to be — I idolized to be like my father in a sense.”

Ann Curtis | The Observer

Senior offensive lineman Logan Plantz walks onto the field during Notre Dame’s 38-17 victory over Stanford on Sept. 29.

Plantz’s older brother Tyler Plantz ’14, walked on to the team, which Plantz said further motivated him.

“I wanted to do everything I could to be just like them and pursue my dream of playing at the University of Notre Dame,” he said.

This love and dream of playing for the Irish helped to push Plantz through a difficult and winding recruiting process. Plantz attended high school at Providence Catholic in New Lenox, Illinois.

“I had some FBS offers as well as some FCS offers, but wasn’t sure what I wanted to do. I knew I wanted to walk on [at Notre Dame] so I applied to the University of Notre Dame, but got denied,” he said.

Plantz then went to East Coast Prep, a post-graduate program in hopes of getting more offers or a look from the Irish. While Plantz succeeded in earning some Big Ten offers, he could not give up on his childhood dream.

“I knew I wanted to walk on at the University of Notre Dame, so I told [the other schools] that I wasn’t interested and wanted to walk on at the University of Notre Dame,” he said.

Plantz applied to Notre Dame again, and was denied admission for a second time. This caused Plantz to scramble and attempt to find a place to play, with the clock ticking for spring semester enrollment. Plantz settled on playing at Indiana State, but on the drive down, turned around and enrolled at Holy Cross.

“I was at Holy Cross for two semesters, and then I finally got in,” he said.

Once at Notre Dame, Plantz walked on to the football team, and his Rudy-esque story was complete. Plantz said he does not mind the connection to the Irish icon, and has met Ruettiger before, but prefers to be seen as Logan Plantz, not a Rudy copycat.

The drive and love for Notre Dame that Plantz had during his admissions journey has now manifested itself on the practice field. It’s not easy work to practice every day and to do all of the same work as his teammates without getting the credit on Saturdays, but Plantz said he is more than happy to do it.

“My role on this team is to make sure that every guy gets better,” he said. “As a walk-on, it’s your role to bring energy every day and push guys beyond their limits and do what I can to contribute to the unit itself.”

About Peter Raus

Contact Peter