-

-

ND Women’s Tennis

Notre Dame to end fall season with home competition

| Friday, November 2, 2018

The Notre Dame women’s tennis team is preparing to host a three-day match beginning this weekend at the Eck Center. The Notre Dame Invitational, beginning Friday Nov. 2 and ending Sunday Nov. 4, will mark the conclusion of the women’s tennis fall schedule. Irish head coach Alison Silverio said the Irish squad has been preparing for the invitational and are focusing on key areas of their game.

“The biggest areas in practice this week that we’ve been focused on are probably energy, our toughness and our doubles teams,” Silverio said.

Silverio stressed that the performances of the doubles teams will be critical to the team’s overall success this weekend.

“The fall is really an opportunity to develop and transfer what we’re doing in practice onto our matches,” Silverio said. “Doubles is an area we feel is very important in dual matches because it’s how we start every dual match. It’s an opportunity to get the first point on the board and really be a catalyst for that energy. That’s not to say that if we don’t get the doubles point we just go away — we certainly don’t, we would respond in the right way — but we feel that the attacking style of doubles that we play and the intensity that we are about in our program is really shown in our doubles.”

The Irish doubles have certainly had success in previous matches, most notably with the duo of Cameron Corse and Zoe Spence, who advanced to the quarterfinals at the ITA Midwest Regional, being nationally ranked as doubles partners.

“We definitely take pride in the toughness … and athleticism that we are displaying,” Silverio said. “The energy and toughness … and attacking style we feel all connect with each other in our doubles teams and in our overall team which will hopefully allow us to end our fall season well here at home.”

The Notre Dame Invitational, which the Irish also hosted in 2014 and 2016, will begin this Friday at Eck Tennis Pavilion. Minnesota, Ohio State, Tennessee and DePaul will be among the teams competing against the Irish.

About Mike Everett

Contact Mike