-

-

Jenkins announces new committee to oversee manufacture of Notre Dame products

| Wednesday, December 5, 2018

University President Fr. John Jenkins has created a standing committee to review Notre Dame’s guidelines about creating licensed Notre Dame products, according to an email sent Wednesday to University students, faculty and staff.

Jenkins formed the committee in response to a May report by an ad-hoc committee on worker participation, he said in the email.

“While recognizing the important steps that have been accomplished so far, the committee determined that the effort to make lasting improvements to workers’ rights in factories around the world is never truly complete,” Jenkins said in the email. “Among its recommendations, the committee called for the creation of a standing committee to monitor the University’s licensing activities and oversee the implementation of various strategic initiatives.”

Jenkins said he appointed executive vice president John Affleck-Graves to chair the standing committee, titled the Committee on Trademark Licensing and Human Rights.

The committee consists of five faculty members, three undergraduate students, two graduate students, five members of the University administration and two alumni, listed below.

Jenkins also encouraged everyone to reach out to committee members with ideas.

“As we continue this effort, I invite the campus community to contact John Affleck-Graves or any other members of the committee with any specific issues you would like the committee to discuss,” he said in the email.

Committee members:

Faculty

Georges Enderle, Department of Management, Mendoza College of Business

Daniel Graff, Department of Sociology, College of Arts and Letters

Lionel Jensen, Department of Asian Languages & Literature, College of Arts and Letters

Gerry Powers, Kroc Institute for International Peace Studies, Keough School of Global Studies

Eric Sims, Department of Economics, College of Arts and Letters (faculty senate nominee)

Students

Jackie Brebeck, senior

Victoria Erdel, senior

Hannah O’Brien, senior

Craig Iffland, graduate student, Department of Theology

Ann Marie Thornburg, graduate student, Department of Anthropology

Administration

Tim Flanagan, Office of General Counsel

Tomi Gerhold, Licensing Department

David Harr, Auxiliary Operations

Fr. Gerry Olinger, C.S.C., Office of Mission Engagement and Church Affairs

John Affleck-Graves, Office of the Executive Vice President

Alumni

Alex Coccia, class of ’14

Armani Porter, class of ’18

Tags: ,

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report