-

-

Notre Dame 2018 class council reviews

| Thursday, December 6, 2018

Senior Class Council

Senior Class Council (SCC) began the semester with a few class meetings to allow seniors to reconvene and review their last year on campus. In October, SCC’s social committee led “Tailgate on the Terrace” at the Morris Inn, while SCC’s special event committee organized a class gathering at Legends the next week.

“We really want to do a nice blend of active and passive events, active events being where you have people — especially people that are off-campus — interacting with their fellow classmates, and then passive events, which are our giveaways,” SCC president Michael Conlon said.

In November, SCC hosted a scarf giveaway, coordinated by its faith and service committee, where it accepted non-perishable food items and monetary donations to benefit the Food Bank of Northern Indiana in exchange for free scarves.

This year, SCC started Senior Sundays, held monthly in the Dahnke Ballroom and led by the Senior Week committee. Lasting most of the afternoon, Senior Sundays serve as a space for seniors to hang out, do homework and de-stress before the upcoming week while enjoying free food. The event usually attracts about 200 people throughout the day.

Next semester, SCC plans to continue Senior Sundays and will also be hosting the annual 100 Days Dance, which marks 100 days until graduation. SCC will also plan Senior Week, a celebration held the week before graduation commemorating the class’s time at Notre Dame.

“We’re really lucky we have a great group of seniors that have stayed really engaged this year,” Conlon said. “Everyone recognizes how special this year is.”

Junior Class Council

Junior Class Council (JCC) kicked off the semester with “Jump into Fall” on South Quad, which featured an inflatable joust arena and free pizza. To promote class unity, JCC also hosted a letter-writing event in September encouraging students to reach out to friends studying abroad.

“Junior year is a little hard because half of our grade is abroad, so I think it’s nice to make sure people who are abroad feel included even if it’s something small like a letter,” JCC president Laksumi Sivanandan said. “Having something tangible is a nice touch.”

After fall break, JCC presented “Oktoberfest,” providing soft pretzels, German chocolate cake, apple cider and root beer in front of South Dining Hall. The council has organized Oktoberfest for the past two years, and Sivanandan said JCC hopes to make the event a class tradition.

In November, JCC sponsored “Thanks a Latte,” a Thanksgiving event where students could buy $5 Starbucks gift cards from JCC and send them to students or faculty. In time for the holidays, JCC hosted “Christmas Cheer and JCC Gear” in LaFortune Student Center, which included free treats and apparel for sale.

Looking toward next semester, JCC plans to host a junior class formal in February. It will also be organizing another letter-writing event for students studying abroad and game watches for Notre Dame spring sports.

“We’re really open to new ideas,” Sivanandan said. “We love hearing [students’] feedback, and we want to run with our ideas to serve [students] and to help students get the most out of their Notre Dame experience.”

Sophomore Class Council

Sophomore Class Council (SCC) started the semester with a cookout on South Quad, welcoming sophomores back to campus with burgers, hot dogs and lawn games like Spikeball and cornhole. Before fall break, SCC hosted a fall carnival in LaFortune Student Center featuring a hugging booth and free fall snacks like kettle corn, pumpkin pie and apple cider.

SCC partnered with JCC, the Student Government Department of Student Life and the Notre Dame Athletics Marketing Department to host a Shamrock Series game watch in Duncan Student Center, which drew about 550 people.

In November, SCC hosted a Christmas trivia event in Duncan Student Center where it offered prizes including a $100 gift card to Chipotle and a $50 gift card to Starbucks. In preparation for the holidays, SCC held its class mass in the Basilica of the Sacred Heart, followed by cookies and hot chocolate in LaFortune Student Center. It also hosted an event to write letters and cards for Notre Dame alumni currently serving in the military.

SCC plans to kick off next semester with the Gatsby Dance in the Dahnke Ballroom of Duncan Student Center, an SCC tradition passed down each year.

“To me, class council has been a super connective experience both with other people on the [Sophomore Class] Council and with others in class council in years above and below me,” SCC president Sam Cannova said. “But moreover, it’s about connecting the entire class across campus, growing a network and realizing the Notre Dame community that’s so highly graced.”

Freshman Class Council

Freshman Class Council (FCC) started its year with a Halloween costume dance in the Dahnke Ballroom of Duncan Student Center, complete with free Chick-fil-A.

“It was our first main event, so there was definitely a learning curve. But overall it went really well,” FCC president Jordan Theriault said.

In November, FCC hosted a concession stand for the Florida State vs. Notre Dame game on South Quad to raise money.

FCC hosted a variety of Christmas-themed events to celebrate the holiday season. FCC held a class Christmas sweater Mass in the Basilica followed by a walkover to North Dining Hall in addition to a class ornament and Welcome Weekend photo sale. To close out the semester, FCC held a Christmas movie marathon where it played “Elf” and “Home Alone” in the LaFortune Student Center Ballroom, providing free hot chocolate and cookies.

While plans are still tentative, FCC has discussed hosting a service fair along with other social events in the spring. This year, FCC chose to split into four committees — social events, fundraising, advertising/outreach and spiritual life/service committees — in order to efficiently brainstorm ideas for events and organize them.

“Being on [FCC] has been a really great experience,” Theriault said. “Meeting new people who want to contribute to fostering a better sense of community at ND, and taking on a leadership role for the purpose of uniting the class is super special.”

Dominique DeMoe | The Observer
Tags: , , , , ,

About Serena Zacharias

Contact Serena