Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Campus Dining announces new campus restaurant in place of Reckers

A new restaurant, Pizza Pi, will be opening on campus in May, according to a press release published Sunday on the Campus Dining website. 

The restaurant will replace former campus dining location Reckers, which closed this semester. Over the next five months, the location will be renovated in preparation for Pizza Pi, the release said.

“Reckers has served campus well for a long time, but was due for a refresh to meet the needs and interests of our current students,” Karen Kennedy, director of student centers, events and activities, said in the release. “Pizza Pi is a cutting edge concept, and we’re excited for what it can bring to this neighborhood of campus.”

Pizza Pi will offer mainly Italian-inspired dishes, including pizzas and pastas, along with salads, breadsticks, smoothies and desserts. On weekends, the location will also serve beer and wine, according to the release. The restaurant is planned to operate 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. Sunday through Thursday and 11 a.m. to 3 a.m. Friday and Saturday.

The release said Campus Dining worked with student government to bring Pizza Pi to campus.

"We’re confident that Pizza Pi will be a tremendous addition to campus and are grateful for the chance to collaborate with Campus Dining on this project,” senior Gates McGavick, student body president, said in the release. “In addition to providing incredible Italian fare, this restaurant marks an important milestone: by responsibly offering alcohol at a central campus location, University administrators have shown an impressive willingness to listen to — and act on — student suggestions.”

Pizza Pi is owned by Freshens, a “healthy ‘fast casual’ concept that offers prepared-to-order food” in 500 locations around the country, according to the company’s website

“We’re thrilled to continue our relationship with Freshens and be the home of the first Pizza Pi,” Chris Abayasinghe, director of Campus Dining, said in the release. “With their delicious offerings and exciting new space, Pizza Pi is sure to become the ultimate late night destination. We’re grateful for the invaluable feedback offered by our students and campus partners during the selection process.”