-

-

Men’s Basketball

Senior captain Rex Pflueger tears ACL, out for the season

| Monday, December 17, 2018

Notre Dame’s on-court leadership and depth took another blow, as senior guard and captain Rex Pflueger tore his left ACL during Notre Dame’s 88-80 win over Purdue in Indianapolis on Saturday, Pflueger announced Monday via Twitter.

“You develop a close relationship with your guys when you have them for four years,” Irish head coach Mike Brey said. “Rex Pflueger is like a son to me. I’m extremely disappointed that he won’t be able to continue this season. He has been an unbelievable winner and leader for us. He has continually helped me endorse our culture here at Notre Dame. I look forward to him continuing to lead and giving me great feedback the rest of the season.”

Observer File Photo

Irish junior guard Rex Pflueger attempts a contested layup during Notre Dame’s 73-56 win over Pittsburgh on Feb. 28 at Purcell Pavilion.

This season as captain, Pflueger started all 10 games for the Irish (7-3) while averaging 8.1 points, 4.7 rebounds and 4.3 assists.

The Dana Point, California, native has made important contributions all four years to the program, memorably breaking onto the scene his freshman year by tipping in the game-winning basket with 1.5 seconds left against Stephen F. Austin in the second round of the 2016 NCAA tournament. Since then, Pflueger has been a regular in the Notre Dame rotation, and has been regarded as a top defender on the team. Pflueger was named the Notre Dame Defensive Player of the Year in both 2017 and 2018.

Looking toward the future, Pflueger’s surgery will come in the next three to four weeks. Discussion of a possible fifth year of eligibility will be tabled until later in the 2019 spring semester, but in the meantime Brey will look to fill the void Pflueger’s injury leaves, as it leaves Notre Dame without any seniors on the roster.