-

-

2018 Saint Mary’s class council reviews

and | Thursday, December 6, 2018

Senior Class Council

Senior Class Council representatives Courtney Buckley, Abigail O’Loughlin and Catherine Kirkpatrick have worked together this semester to organize a variety of senior class events. Their most recent project was Senior Dads’ Weekend, which they said drew good participation from the class. Kirkpatrick said the group also gained feedback from the event, which they will use to plan future events.

“It was a huge weekend,” Buckley said. “We had a lot of fun, and it was a great turnout.”

For next semester, the Senior Class Council has planned several different fundraisers, the proceeds of which will be used to offset the cost of Senior Week so that participation is as inexpensive as possible.

“We have a lot of unique fundraisers planned … especially compared to fundraisers Saint Mary’s has seen in the past,” Kirkpatrick said. “We’re trying to come up with new designs and new items to diversify the Saint Mary’s swag.”

As they continue to raise money, the Senior Class Council is also planning the events that will take place during Senior Week, including a formal and a trip to a Chicago Cubs game. Having gotten an early start, they are eager and feel prepared for their events next semester.

“We’re busy planning Senior Week,” Buckley said. “Even though it’s not until May, we started planning the day after Senior Dads’ Weekend.”

Junior Class Council

The Junior Class Council representatives are Kassandra Acosta and Michelle Lester, and among their responsibilities is planning Junior Moms’ Weekend. Neither Acosta nor Lester responded to requests for further information, and none was readily available when The Observer searched for it.

Sophomore Class Council

Sophomore Class Council representative Meg Hemmert said she believes this year’s class events are going well.

“Class council is off to a great start this year,” she said in an email. “This year we are focusing on building unity and friendship within the sophomore class.”

Hemmert said there have been a few successful events so far and more to come next semester.

“A few weeks ago we had our bagel bash event where we ordered a bunch of Panera bagels and coffee one Sunday morning,” she said. “This past Sunday, we held our second event and ordered Insomnia Cookies in the Holy Cross parlor.”

The Sophomore Class Council aims to provide activities that help students unwind, particularly during the end of the semester.

“For our last event this semester, we wanted to have a de-stress event for students to unwind before finals start,” Hemmert said.

The planning process has been going well, and the council is constantly coming up with a wide range of ideas to appeal to students’ interests, she said.

“Planning the events isn’t too difficult, we always try to think of things that appeal to a variety of people,” Hemmert said.

The Council is also open to working with the students to help plan successful events. Student input is incredibly valuable, Hemmert said, and they have brought back some popular activities from last year.

“Last year, we actually had a similar bagel event. Many students remembered it and asked me to do it again,” she said. “That’s a big reason why we decided to do it again this year.”

Hemmert said the main goal of the council is to provide an outlet for students.

“It’s fun to put these events together,” she said. “There’s nothing better than seeing people enjoying themselves and spending time together.”

First-Year Class Council

First-Year Class Council representative Fiona McMahon said the group has made a serious effort to host class events.

“The goal is to bring the freshman class together and get everyone to meet each other and make everyone comfortable,” she said.

The council has been very busy this semester and has many events to come, McMahon said.

“We hosted an event in the fall with giveaways, crafts and dessert for all freshmen,” she said.

In addition, the freshman class has worked with the upperclassmen to plan various weekend activities.

“So far this year, we’ve worked at Senior Dads’ Weekend and Sophomore Parents’ Weekend as well,” she said.

McMahon said the council is “already working on [its] next event, Freshman Parents’ Weekend.”

“We are really excited for this event,” she said.

The planning process has been a lot more efficient than expected, McMahon said.

“The upperclassmen are so helpful and willing to guide us through our first year on Class Council,” she said.

McMahon said she is proud of her team and their ability to work together.

“We’re lucky to have such dedicated members because they put all their efforts into creating fun and memorable events for the students,” she said.

Dominique DeMoe | The Observer
Tags: , , , , , ,

About Sara Schlecht

Contact Sara

About Julianna McKenna

Contact Julianna