-

-

A response to faculty concerns

| Monday, January 28, 2019

Dear Barry,

Thanks so much for sharing this letter. Fr. John referred your message to me as I have been part of an Notre Dame group preparing for this week’s extreme weather.

We have been assured by the City of South Bend that it has sufficient facilities to open warming centers to meet the community’s needs during this weather emergency. The City has also been working closely with the Red Cross to prepare for the extreme conditions. You may have seen this article in yesterday’s South Bend Tribune which references some of the City’s preparations. It’s my understanding that the Mayor’s Office will go out with much more communication tomorrow morning (Monday) regarding weather amnesty. Should there be a need, Notre Dame stands ready to help in any way it can.

As you may already know, Notre Dame’s police and fire departments provide back-up support for area emergency responders through mutual aid agreements. As always, they stand ready to support neighboring police, fire and EMTs in this or any other emergency that presents itself.

Further, if our emergency responders encounter anyone in life-threatening circumstances because of weather or otherwise, they will take immediate steps to safeguard them, including transport to municipal or county warming centers or Notre Dame facilities. We would obviously urge everyone in the Notre Dame community who encounters an individual in immediate danger because of exposure to the elements to engage personally in helping them.

Thank you again, Barry. If I can provide any additional information to you or any of our colleagues, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Ann M. Firth
Vice President and Chief of Staff 
Office of the President
Jan. 27

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email [email protected]