An invitation to join the Knights of Columbus

Dear Brothers in Christ, I invite you to consider membership in the Knights of Columbus. In the years that I have been involved with the Knights, and particularly in the years since my ordination as a bishop, I have come to appreciate the many ways in which this fraternal order enhances the lives of its members and families and also serves the Church in many and diverse ways.Since its humble beginning in a single Connecticut parish in 1882, the Knights of Columbus has grown into an organization with nearly 2 million members in 17 countries. Last year, the Knights donated more than $177.5 million to charity and provided more than 75 million volunteer hours of charitable service worldwide. We call this Faith in Action!It would be hard to imagine a more significant response to Pope Francis’ call to “overcome our fear of getting our hands dirty so as to help those in need.As Catholics, we are called by Christ to put our faith into action by works of mercy and charity. The Knights in our diocese are exemplary in responding to this call with faith, zeal and dedication. While there is a seriousness in our shared purpose and priorities as Knights, most especially our defense of life, religious liberty and the family, we also enjoy each others’ fraternal company. I think you would feel very much at home in this Catholic fraternal order where we pray, serve and grow together as brothers in Christ. For all the above reasons, I encourage every active Catholic man in our diocese over the age of 18 to consider joining the Knights of Columbus. May the Holy Spirit guide you and Our Lady and Saint Joseph intercede for you in your journey of faith! Sincerely yours in Christ,

Most Reverend Kevin C. Rhoades

Bishop of Fort Wayne-South Bend

Dec. 7