-

-

Fencing

Notre Dame dominates DeCicco Duals

| Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Notre Dame men’s and women’s teams beat out a field of club programs this past weekend at the DeCicco Duals. The Irish teams, which have combined for only three losses on the season, turned in 19 undefeated score sheets.

Kendra Osinski

Irish junior epeeist Julia Barry competes during the DeCicco Duals on Sunday at the Castellan Family Fencing Center.

Opening up the first day of competition, the men were led by freshman sabreur Guram Lortkipanidze, who went undefeated through eight rounds of competition. Meanwhile, senior foilist Blake Murphy, freshman foilist Gustavo Rossello and junior foilist Alexander Ju all went 8-1 on the day. Freshman foilists Andrew Machovec and freshman epeeist Michael Siroky both posted impressive results, going 6-0 and 6-1, respectively.

On the women’s side of the competition, sophomore foilist Beatrice Verrecchia dominated the day, going 15-0 against the field. Additionally, junior sabreuse Natalie Disher and classmate Regina O’Brien went 14-0 and 11-0, respectively. In epee, Miriam Grady posted a 12-0 record. The freshman went 3-3 last weekend at the St. John’s Invitational in New York City with her only losses coming up against No. 4 Penn State.

Returning to the court on Sunday, the top-ranked Irish picked up where they left off. After handling Lawrence, Detroit Mercy, Wayne State and Florida on both sides — in addition to Wagner on the women’s and Northwestern on the men’s side — both teams expanded on their lead, beating Case Western, Chicago, Purdue, Indiana, Michigan State, Michigan and Denison to clinch the win. This resulted in the 23rd and 24th win for the women’s and men’s program, respectively. Of these seven victories on the second day, three of them came without contest, as the Irish swept the Boilers, Hoosiers and Big Red for a 27-0 record, highlighted by a women’s sabre team that didn’t surrender a single loss on the day.

Verrecchia extended her dominant play alongside sophomore Erica Tsai to combine for 21 wins in the women’s foil. They were joined by Christina Boitano, Disher and freshman Sienna Wilson in sabre and freshman Giorgia Giordano, sophomore Dasha Yefremenko and Grady in epee to cap off Notre Dame’s undefeated competitors.

On the men’s side, Lortkipanidze once again set the pace, posting an 11-0 record, along with sophomore Ben Scholl and freshman Logan Kanary to round out the sabre competition. Additionally, sophomores Thomas Murray and Joseph Marino went undefeated in the foil, along with junior epeeist Aidan Antekeier and senior epeeist Cole Mallette. Sophomore Robert Wong proved to be a true renaissance man, besting the foil field 6-0 as well as the epee field 3-0.

With the doors to the Castellan Family Fencing Center closing on the regular season, the Irish will travel outside Chicago to compete in the Northwestern Duals at Ryan Fieldhouse this Saturday — their final competition of the regular season.