-

-

Sports

Irish squads announce voucher offer for furloughed federal employees

| Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Irish women’s basketball head coach Muffet McGraw, men’s basketball head coach Mike Brey and hockey coach Jeff Jackson announced Tuesday that their teams will be joining forces to provide free tickets and food vouchers to furloughed federal workers in the Michiana area.

“In light of the recent partial government shutdown, we’d like to offer our support to the members of our community most directly affected,” the three coaches wrote in a joint statement. “We recognize the burden currently placed on your families, and Notre Dame would like to provide a fun night out, where you can enjoy a game and a meal while cheering on the Irish.”
Anna Mason | The Observer

Irish head coach Mike Brey watches his team face off against Chicago State.

Furloughed federal employees can receive four free tickets per federal ID, as well as a concession voucher for each ticket, along with free parking. The offer is being made for men’s basketball against Georgia Tech on Feb. 10 and against Wake Forest on Feb. 19, for women’s basketball against Georgia Tech on Feb. 3 and against Duke on Feb. 21 and for hockey against Michigan State on Jan. 25 and against Michigan on Feb. 12.
If the shutdown is to end before the games take place, the offers will still be honored.
“We hope this invitation will offer a respite, however small, in the face of the current situation,” the statement says. “Notre Dame has always enjoyed the support of this community, and we hope to offer that same support in return.”
McGraw also spent time Monday at South Bend Regional Airport with the furloughed TSA workers there, bringing them pizza after tweeting earlier in the day about ideas for helping the federal employees in the South Bend community and asking for ideas to help employees other than the TSA.
Tags: , , , , , ,