-

-

Football

Julian Love, Alize Mack declare for NFL Draft

| Friday, January 4, 2019

Notre Dame will have to replace early departures from the team on both sides of the ball next season, as junior cornerback Julian Love and senior tight end Alizé Mack both announced Friday that they will forgo their remaining year of eligibility and declare for the 2019 NFL Draft.

Ann Curtis | The Observer

Irish junior cornerback Julian Love runs back a blocked extra point attempt for a safety during Notre Dame’s 42-13 win over Florida State on Saturday at Notre Dame Stadium.

Love — a Jim Thorpe Award finalist and consensus All-American — recorded 63 tackles, recovered three fumbles and broke up 16 passes this season, only allowing one touchdown. The 5-foot-11 defensive back totaled 176 tackles, five interceptions and three touchdowns during his three-year career with the Irish, setting a Notre Dame record for passes broken-up (44) in the process.

In his announcement, which he posted on social media, Love said he plans on completing his degree in management consulting before he leaves the University.

“While I’m confident that this is the best choice for my future, the decision to leave Notre Dame was not an easy one,” he said in the announcement. “It was a childhood dream of mine to put on the gold helmet and play football for the Fighting Irish, and my experience at this University has been just that — a dream.”

Mack, the 6-foot-5 product from Las Vegas and a former No. 1-ranked tight end by ESPN.com out of Bishop Gorman High School, hauled in 36 catches for 360 yards and three touchdowns this season for the Irish. Mack played in all 13 games his freshman season in 2015, and while he sat out his entire sophomore season because he was academically ineligible, still compiled 68 receptions, 716 yards and four touchdowns over his three seasons on the field.

“As I begin preparing for this next phase in my football journey, I am so grateful to be a part of the Notre Dame family and tradition,” Mack said in his announcement. “I will carry the many lessons I have learned in South Bend with me forever.”

The 2019 NFL Draft is set for April 25-27.