Miles Boykin to declare for NFL Draft

Irish senior wide receiver Miles Boykin announced via Twitter on Sunday he would forgo his final season of eligibility and enter the NFL Draft after earning his degree from the University in May.

Boykin made a name for himself in the 2018 Citrus Bowl, when the then-junior made the game-winning 55-yard one-handed touchdown grab to defeat LSU and was named the Citrus Bowl MVP.

1514835030-d36dacde18c9b82-1024x676
Observer File Photo
Irish senior wide receiver Miles Boykin reaches out and pulls in the one-handed grab before scoring the go-ahead touchdown from 55-yards out in Notre Dame’s 21-17 win over LSU on Jan. 1, 2018, in the Citrus Bowl at Camping World Stadium.

“First and foremost, I want to thank the University of Notre Dame for giving me the chance to grow as a person, whether that was on the field, in the classroom or in the community,” Boykin said in his statement. “Notre Dame will always hold a special place in my heart because of the memories, both good and bad, that I’ve experienced. I’m forever changed for the better.”

He redshirted his freshman season, but played in all 12 games the next year, making six receptions for 81 yards and one touchdown. His junior year, Boykin played in 12 games — making his lone start in the Citrus Bowl — and registered 12 catches for 253 yards and two touchdowns. Boykin’s other touchdown came against Miami (OH) on a 54-yard reception, giving him two touchdowns over 50 yards on the season. He led the Notre Dame receiving corps with an average of 21.1 yards per reception.

This season, the Tinley Park, Illinois, native led the squad in regular-season receiving yards, with 803 on 54 catches. He also recorded eight touchdowns — at least one in six-straight games, the longest streak by any Notre Dame player since Will Fuller in 2014. He averaged 14.8 yards per catch and 67.1 yards per game. His best game came against Stanford, when he recorded a 144-yard game on 11 catches, with a touchdown.

“To my teammates and coaches, I’d never be in this position without the continuous support you’ve shown me over my career,” Boykin said. “I’ll truly miss all of you and I want to thank you all for believing in me.

“With that said, I’ve decided that, after receiving my degree in May from the greatest University in the world, I’ll forgo my final season of eligibility and declare for the NFL Draft.”