-

-

More than items on a list

| Friday, January 18, 2019

One week into my last semester at Notre Dame and I’m starting to make a mental list of things I want to do before I graduate in May.

I’d love to attend one of every Irish team’s sporting events, visit every dorm chapel on campus — for Mass or otherwise — and go to arts events I can only experience here, like the Collegiate Jazz Festival. There’s still so much I have left to try.

But I also have plenty of amazing memories from throughout my time on campus.

I’ve attended plays put on by the Film, Television and Theatre department, various student groups and the Actors From the London Stage. I’ve been to concerts and comedy performances at Legends, and I’ve watched amazing films brought to campus through SUB and the DeBartolo Performing Arts Center. I’ve stood in the student section and sat in the stands at countless Notre Dame sports games, and I was in the crowd when the women’s basketball team won a national championship. I’ve loved every minute I spent in my on-campus home of Pasquerilla West and will never forget the hours I spent helping to decorate my section hallways during Queen Week.

I’ve had a great run of experiences here, and I amassed them all without feeling like I was just checking items off a Notre Dame bucket list. I tried things because I knew I wouldn’t have the opportunity to do so otherwise, because friends asked me to join them or because they just seemed like fun. And yes, I went to certain events simply because I had to cover them for The Observer, and I almost always ended up extremely grateful that I did.

About four months away from the end of my time as a Notre Dame student, though, I can’t help but wonder if I really took full advantage of all the opportunities being on this campus afforded me. I’m starting to get the first hints of that sense of anxiety you only get when you know your life is about to change in a major way. Did I take every class I wanted to take? Did I forget to do something I always told myself I’d get around to doing?

Still, I think back through my last seven semesters at this University, and it brings me a sense of peace about what’s to come. Because I’ve never been worried about making sure I try something just so I can cross it off some mental to-do list, and I still have a pretty great highlight reel running through my mind. It features some fun activities, but what stands out more are the people who were right there with me, whether they’ve been there from the beginning or showed up somewhere along the way. None of the memories I cherish about this place feature me alone.

There are more things I would like to do while I am still a student at Notre Dame. I’m sure they’ll get done, one way or another. But for now, I’m just going to continue to enjoy the time I have left here, because my experience so far has been much more than items on a list.

About Courtney Becker

Courtney is a senior from New York City majoring in film, television and theater with a minor in journalism, who recently wrapped up her year as Editor-in-Chief. She is a former resident of Pasquerilla West Hall and a die-hard Pittsburgh Steelers fan.

Contact Courtney