-

-

Philosophy professor emeritus dies at 76

| Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Gary Gutting, the John A. O’Brien professor of philosophy, died Friday at 76, the University announced in a news release Tuesday.

Gutting was a scholar of contemporary French philosophy, philosophy of religion and philosophy of science.

“As an author, Gary functioned as both innovator and instructor, as someone who saw philosophical interest and power where others do not,” Notre Dame philosophy professor Paul Weithman said in the release. “As a teacher, his willingness to build his lectures around the questions his students submitted by email gave them a remarkable amount of responsibility for their own education, and represented student-centered learning at its best.

Gutting earned a doctorate from Saint Louis University in 1968. He was a member of Notre Dame’s philosophy department for 50 years and served as chair for six years, the release said. According to the release, he also taught University President Fr. John Jenkins as an undergraduate.

In 2002, Gutting founded Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews, a philosophy journal, with his wife and co-editor Stacie.

Gutting earned a Kaneb Award in 2004 and a Thomas P. Madden Award in 2007 for excellence in teaching.

He was writer or editor of numerous books and scholarly articles, the release said. He also served as the editor for American Philosophical Weekly and was a contributor for The New York Times’ philosophy blog, The Stone.

Peter Catapano, an editor for The Stone, memorialized Gutting in an opinion piece Monday.

Jenkins will preside over a funeral Mass for Gutting on Feb. 1 at 3:30 p.m. in the Basilica of the Sacred Heart.

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report