-

-

Saint Mary’s to hold siblings weekend in March

| Friday, January 25, 2019

Saint Mary’s Little Siblings Weekend is a yearly tradition for Belles to share their college experience with their younger brothers and sisters. The committee for the weekend has been hard at work planning this year’s event.

Committee members for the event, junior Chloe Jacobs and senior Madeline Flynn, are planning to make sure the events are fun for a wide spectrum of ages.

“When I went to little siblings my freshman year, my little siblings came, but all the activities were for very little kids, and my little siblings weren’t really having a great time,” Jacobs said. “So I wanted to come up with a theme where we can have activities where little kids can enjoy it, but also older kids can enjoy.”

This year’s theme is Lil’ Sibs Around the World.

“I feel like in general with all the globalization and everything, international stuff is just so important,” Jacobs said. “Teaching people, and kids especially, about other cultures and activities they do in a fun way is so important.”

The committee has been organizing fun events and activities that are meant to pertain to a large age and cultural range.

“It’s such a broad category we can collaborate with so many different kinds of people that you didn’t even know existed,” Jacobs said.

To help represent many different cultures, they have enlisted the help of clubs such as the French club, Spanish club, German club and the Irish dance team.  

The different countries will have tables run by committee and club members. Each will have an activity and a food item pertaining to their country.

“Essentially what the little sibs will be able to do is they can go around with these passports we’re going to give them and they can get stamps in different countries,” Flynn said.

“For France we’re doing canvases and there’s going to be croissants,” Jacobs said. “For England, one of the things we’re doing is the kids are going to write a letter to the queen or the royal family.”

Before the fair, the committee has a cozy opening night planned.

“For Friday, we bought the rights to Coco, so yeah, we’ll show that movie and Sodexo is catering popcorn and candy, that’s going to be the opening night activity,” Jacobs said.

Following the international fair in Angela Athletic and Wellness Complex, there will be a full buffet in the center. The Irish dance team is also donating time that night not just to dancing at the event, but to teaching the kids how to dance.

“There’s kind of like two parts — there’s the international fair and afterwards we’re having a dance part where we’re going to have the Irish dance team come in and teach how to dance,” Jacobs said.

On Sunday, there is a farewell tea party in the making and there will be meal passes during the weekend for the kids.

Lil’ Sibs around the World will take place from March 1 to March 3.  

About Callie Patrick

Contact Callie