-

-

ND Women’s Tennis

Spring season offers chance to show improvements for veteran Irish team

| Thursday, January 17, 2019

Notre Dame is set to begin their spring 2019 season with their first match on Friday against Western Michigan. The women will look to get off to a fast start after not seeing any match play since November.

The Irish completed a fall season that included four tournaments. One of these tournaments was the ITA Midwest Regional Championships, where the doubles pairing of junior Zoe Spence and sophomore Cameron Corse reached the quarterfinals. In singles, Spence fought her way into the round of 16, ultimately falling to Brienne Minor of Michigan in straight sets. Notre Dame also recorded several victories in the final tournament of the fall, the Notre Dame Invitational, where the squad marked seven wins on the singles court and three wins in doubles on the final day of action.

Graduate student Brooke Broda will be a key player for the Irish this spring. Broda shared duties at the number one position last season going 5-8 in No. 1 singles and 6-10 in No. 1 doubles. Another veteran player returning for the season will be senior Rachel Chong. Chong, who mostly played at No. 5 singles, went 19-13 on the season.

The Irish have some new additions to the team in freshmen Maeve Koscielski from Indianapolis and Zoe Taylor from Long Grove, Illinois. Koscielski is a highly touted five-star recruit along with her freshman teammate Taylor, a four-star recruit.

Following their competition against the Broncos (1-0), the Irish will be in action at home the following week in a match against Bowling Green before they travel to Pittsburgh for their first ACC conference matchup. The Irish will look to improve off of their 2-12 conference record from last spring.

Despite the first conference matchup looming within the month, the Irish will still need to focus on a Western Michigan team that is fresh off of a win against Oakland University. The team will look to begin the season strong at 5 p.m. against the Broncos at the Eck Tennis Pavilion.

Tags: , , , , ,

About Dominic Gibson

Contact Dominic