-

-

ND Women’s Tennis

Strong showing by Bojczuk leads Notre Dame over Bowling Green

| Thursday, January 24, 2019

Notre Dame improved its undefeated record on Wednesday after a dominating performance over Bowling Green. The Irish — coming off of a sweep against Western Michigan — looked to come out fast and strong again Wednesday evening and did so in convincing fashion, beating the Falcons (1-2) 7-0.

The Irish (2-0) earned the doubles point quickly thanks to the efforts of their No. 2 and No. 3 courts. The No. 2 doubles pairing of senior Rachel Chong and sophomore Ally Bojczuk made quick work of their Falcon opponents, winning 6-0. The No. 3 pairing of junior Zoe Spence and freshman Zoe Taylor helped the Irish secure the doubles point, winning their match 6-2.

Head coach Alison Silverio was generally pleased with her team’s quick response to open the season.

“We came out, we were ready, we had a sense of urgency, and that was one thing we’ve been talking about since we’ve been back this spring and just going out there and controlling what we can control, and energy is one of those factors,” Silverio said. “We wanted to bring out the fighting spirit and have that positive energy.”

The Irish continued their momentum from the doubles matchups into their singles play, sweeping all six singles contests they played without dropping a set. The most dominating performances came from Bojczuk and Taylor, both winning their matches with a 6-1, 6-2 score line.

Silverio noted the extra work put in by Bojczuk that helped contribute to her strong performance following an impressive rookie season.

“She’s someone that’s been coming out consistently for extra work and taking care of those little details can make a big difference,” Silverio said of Bojczuk. “Her just being able to execute her game plan and the energy she was giving off I think was something that was a nice catalyst for all of us.”

The Irish now look ahead to their next competition, a key ACC match against the Pittsburgh Panthers (0-1) in Pittsburgh on Sunday. The Irish, who are looking to improve their ACC record from last season, hope that the success from their first two matches will help fuel another strong performance on the road.

“It’s the building of momentum and every day we’re looking to get that one percent better, and we use practice, we use matches, we use our fitness. Everything we do there’s a purpose to it and its always an opportunity to get better,” Silverio said. “We want to keep going about our business in the right way with integrity and just relentless with our work ethic. Wins are great and we can always learn from them.”

About Dominic Gibson

Contact Dominic