-

-

Thank you, Dunne Hall

| Thursday, January 17, 2019

When I moved to Dunne Hall at the beginning of my sophomore year, no one — myself included — knew what the community would be like. The truth of the matter, though, was that we had a chip on our shoulder. We were going to have to prove that we were something more than just an “island of misfit toys” or “that new dorm that looks great on the inside.”

Two-and-a-half years later, I can say without hesitation that Dunne Hall has been an enormous success. This past weekend, we had over 100 members of our community attend Dunne’s annual retreat. Through speakers and small group discussions, all of us, including the most prominent members of Dunne, shared stories and reflections about the difficult challenges that we have faced throughout our lives. The fact that nearly half of our dorm was willing to take a weekend out of their winter break to grow in community with their fellow Sentinels, I think, really speaks to the authenticity and the closeness of our hall.

One topic that was frequently discussed during our retreat was gratitude. Too often, Notre Dame students (myself included) get preoccupied with our work and activities, and forget to stop and express gratitude for others and for the opportunities given to us. As I begin my final semester, I want to publicly thank Fr. Matt Kuczora, Fr. Kevin Grove, our hall staff and all past and present residents of Dunne Hall for shaping our community into what it is today.

Kevin Hayes

senior

Jan. 14

Letters to the Editor can be submitted by all members of the Notre Dame community. To submit a letter to the Viewpoint Editor, email [email protected]