-

-

Tickets begin campaign for student body president, vice president

| Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Campaigns for the student body government elections kicked off Tuesday after four tickets received the 700 required signatures to enter the race.

Junior Elizabeth Boyle and sophomore Patrick McGuire, freshmen Carlston Chang and Kevin O’Leary, juniors Eduardo Luna and Haley Coleman and juniors Mario Markho and Charlie Ortega Guifarro form the four tickets running for student body president and vice president. (Editor’s note: Ortega Guifarro is a former Sports Writer for The Observer and Patrick McGuire is a former Scene Writer.)

According to the judicial council’s website, a debate between tickets will be held Monday at 9 p.m. in the Duncan Student Center Midfield Commons.

The student body president and vice president election will take place Feb. 6. Should no ticket receive a majority vote, a second debate will take place Feb. 10, followed by a final election Feb. 11.

The Boyle-McGuire ticket, with the campaign slogan “Empower ND,” has three main modules: student empowerment, gender relations and dorm reform. The “student empowerment” section of the ticket’s platform breaks down into subcategories diversity and inclusion, sustainability, student life, community engagement and academics.

Among other plans, the candidates aim to make diversity training mandatory for all students, to create a “department of student empowerment” within student government, to rewrite the University’s ​nondiscrimination clause ​to include “sexual orientation” and “gender identity” and to push for the removal of Cardinal McCarrick’s honorary degree, according to their platform.

According to their campaign poster, the Chang-O’Leary ticket’s main plans include implementing a minor in the Moreau First Year Experience, renaming Keenan “South Stanford” and making South Quad a Safari. The candidates’ campaign slogan is “Inexperience is the best experience.”

The Luna-Coleman ticket focuses on residential dining reform, diversity and inclusion, residential life and transparency and communication.

Their platform plans include “benchmarking all outstanding maintenance requests around campus and ensuring the most timely responses” and publishing comprehensive reports assessing student government efficiency.

The Markho-Ortega ticket divides its platform into three parts: taking action to improve student life, building on programs and groups that already exist and promoting clarity in student government and administration.

Notable campaign promises include working with the Club Coordination Office to give priority funding to groups that “make students feel welcome,” publishing the Dean’s List and all professors’ Course Instructor Feedback and making the Office of Financial Aid release an annual tuition breakdown.

Editor’s note: This report was updated at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday to include the Chang-O’Leary platform and information about the election schedule.

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report