-

-

College hosts annual World Cinema Festival

| Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Saint Mary’s Center for Women’s Intercultural Leadership (CWIL) office coordinated 2019’s annual World Cinema Festival.

The festivities start Tuesday and extend to Friday, showing three movies from across the globe. All showings start at 7 p.m. in Vander Vennett Theater in the Student Center. The showings are free and open to the public.

“Generally, I select the films after soliciting suggestions from faculty and students, or anyone else who wants to send me ideas,” Mana Derakhshani, director of CWIL, said. “I look for films that bring new perspectives to our understanding of various places in the world. I also look for award-winning films to ensure good quality.”

The World Cinema Festival is an annual event at Saint Mary’s College.

“They have offered the World Cinema Festival since 2011,” Derakhshani said. “Before that, we offered a French Film Festival for about five years. So for the past 13 to 14 years, there has been a week of foreign films hosted by Saint Mary’s College.”

The films range in origin from year to year. This year’s lineup features the historical drama “Golden Door” from Italy, which follows a struggling Sicilian family and their voyage to New York. “Go Away, Mr. Tumor,” a Chinese film, is based on a famous comic series, and featured from India, is “English to Vinglish,” which is a comedy-drama about a woman learning English.

The film festival is part of CWIL’s efforts to internationalize the campus through extra-curricular activities, Derakhshani said.

“Although a large percentage of Saint Mary’s students study abroad, they do not all get the experience of immersion in a different culture. Through these films, they can become a very short-term sojourner into a new country,” she said“The Festival offers students opportunities to learn about the world and increase their global and intercultural perspective through a different medium. It also supports academic programs such as Global Studies, Film Studies and Intercultural Studies.”

Films will be shown in their original language with English subtitles, and there will be “country-themed” snacks offered.

This is an opportunity to see films not usually seen in the United States, Derakhshani said, as well as to learn something about another culture’s perspective.

About Callie Patrick

Contact Callie