-

-

Saint Mary’s names new director of campus safety

| Thursday, February 28, 2019

Saint Mary’s named Robert Post the new director of campus safety Feb 18. With over 26 years of experience in law enforcement, Post has spent the last two years as an on-call officer at Saint Mary’s, which facilitated the transition to his new position, he said.

“I like to think that I mapped out my success by laying down the grounds,” Post said. “When I come on duty, I don’t just drive around in a car. I’m out and I’m on foot, talking with everybody and asking if there are any needs, any concerns. It’s just the way I do things. And I think that helped me. My colleagues know that I not only have the work ethic, but I have the sincerity in that I really want to help people.”

In addition to overseeing the general security of campus, Post said he has a clear agenda of what he hopes to implement as director.

“I want to move the department further up in both professionalism, image and appearance through [additional] training to give my officers the tools they need to do their job,” he said. “I’m working on getting them EMT [emergency medical responder] certifications, because anytime you can save seconds by helping out somebody that’s injured it helps.”

Post said he hopes to build a stronger relationship with students by understanding their concerns and ideas for development.

“I’m working to get to where I can have monthly meetings with all the residence advisors,” he said. “They can give me their concerns and ideas, and I can share new ideas which are put forth. They can then pass that down to the leaders in their dorms.”

Utilizing the Saint Mary’s automated text message system, Post will also send weekly safety tips and establish meetings to promote life skills, he said.

“We’ll show you how to change a tire, how to jump-start a vehicle, because a lot of girls don’t know how to do that,” Post said. “It also puts us in a teaching and mentoring role.”

But Post also said he is eager to learn from the students.

“The idea about using the text system was a student’s idea. It’s an excellent idea,” he said. “Working as a part-time, on-call officer I didn’t know they had this tool, but it’s an excellent resource to get information to everyone at one time.”

Alongside his plans to advance the security office, Post said he is aware of the challenges he faces and the weight of his responsibilities as director, but he knows that he has what it takes to be successful.

“It’s like moving to any other job. I’ve got a lot to learn,” he said. “But I get to take everything that I know — all my certifications, training, experience and knowledge — and put that into this job to make it a success, to make this job even better and to pass [my knowledge] on to my sergeants and officers. The big thing is being organized and communication. I believe in pure transparency in everything that I do so everybody knows what’s going on, because everybody is part of the campus.”

About Mary Mansfield

Contact Mary