-

-

ND Women’s Golf

Irish rebound to tie for fifth place at Westbrook Spring Invitational as Albrecht ties for second individually

| Tuesday, February 26, 2019

After a tough showing last weekend at the Moon Golf Invitational in Melbourne, Florida, Notre Dame rebounded in a big way this weekend at the Westbrook Spring Invitational in Peoria, Arizona. The Irish tied for fifth in a field of 16 competitors, tying their season-best, fifth-place team finish at the Bettie Lou Evans Invitational this past October.

The Irish were propelled by the play of Emma Albrecht, who tied for second place this weekend. The senior finished at eight-under-par for the tournament and fired a 70 in her final round to help the Irish move from seventh to fifth place. Albrecht also shot a season-low 68 in the second round, just one stroke off the career-best 67 she shot at February 2018’s Westbrook Spring Invitational. This was the fourth time this season that Albrecht posted Notre Dame’s top individual score.

Ann Curtis | The Observer

Notre Dame’s Emma Albrecht examines her angle at an exhibition match at Warren Golf Course on August 24.

After a difficult first round where she shot three-over-par, Claire Albrecht recovered to also perform well for Notre Dame. The freshman recorded a 72 in her second round and shot a 73 in her final round to finish at four-over-par. Albrecht continues to build on her strong fall, when she made an immediate impact for coach Susan Holt’s squad. Abby Heck turned in a consistent performance this weekend to also help the Irish. After shooting a 73 in her first two rounds, the sophomore shot a 72 in her final round to finish at two-over-par for the weekend. Senior Isabella DiLisio also struggled early, posting a 78 in the first round. However, she responded with veteran poise, shooting a 73 and a 71 to conclude her invitational.

The Irish played some of their best golf of the season in a tournament that featured teams which received votes for last week’s Women’s Golf Coaches Association top-25. Nebraska shot 11-under-par for the weekend to claim first place, while Oklahoma, Illinois and Oregon State finished ahead of the Irish to complete the top five.

Notre Dame will now take almost three weeks off before hosting the Clover Cup in Mesa, Arizona, which begins Friday, March 15. The Irish will look to carry the momentum they built this weekend into the final stretch of the regular season as they aim to qualify for their second-consecutive NCAA regional.