-

-

Baseball

Irish travel to San Antonio seeking first season win against at Alamo Irish Classic

| Thursday, February 21, 2019

After going winless in its opening series, Notre Dame will travel south to face Eastern Michigan and Incarnate Word in the Alamo Irish Classic this coming weekend. The Irish (0-3) are looking to bounce back after a disappointing series against Arizona State. They face Eastern Michigan (0-3-1) on Thursday and in the first game of a double-header on Friday. The Irish must then immediately take on Incarnate Word (3-1) following the second game, and play them once more Saturday to wrap up the Classic.

Eastern Michigan is coming off of a four-game series against the New Jersey Institute of Technology. The Swoops are led by junior Zachary Owings, who has eight hits in 18 at-bats, with a team-leading two home runs and six RBIs. Fellow junior Nick Jones posted six hits in 14 at-bats and three RBIs.

Eddie Griesedieck

Irish sophomore infielder Niko Kavadas prepares to take off the base during Notre Dame’s 2-0 loss to Northwestern on April 11 at Frank Eck Stadium.

In its season opener, Incarnate Word put up 34 runs over four games — while only giving up six — in three wins and a loss against Hofstra. The Cardinals are helmed by senior shortstop Ryan Gonzalez, who has six hits in 16 at-bats, and has tallied six runs and five RBIs to date, four of which came in a 9-1 win in game one.

The Irish gave up 46 runs to the Sun Devils (3-0) over their three games, and only scored 13. Arizona State sophomore infielder Spencer Torkelson lit up the Notre Dame rotation with nine hits in 14 at-bats — producing nine RBIs — and the Irish were unable to contain junior outfielder Hunter Bishop, who led the Sun Devils with seven runs scored.

Notre Dame junior first basemen Daniel Jung has led the Irish at the plate to this point, racking up five hits in 14 at-bats with one RBI. Sophomore infielders Niko Kavadas and Jared Miller each went 3 for 10 and combined for five RBIs in the season-opening series. Miller also drew three walks against the Sun Devils to round out his performance at the plate.

Although over 1,300 miles away from campus, the Alamo Irish Classic has close ties to home for Notre Dame. This marks the 21st time the Irish have hosted, the last eight of which have come under head coach Mik Aoki. Last season, the Irish returned from San Antonio with a 2-2 record against Saint Louis and Purdue. As they continue to search for their first win of the season, they’ll be hoping to carry some of last year’s success into the weekend.

The Irish travel to San Antonio, with a 3 p.m. start time for the first game against Eastern Michigan. Following this away series, Notre Dame will return to campus before heading to the East Coast to kick off March by alternating against Charleston Southern and Ball State over four games. This road trip will mark the last games before conference play begins, in which the Irish will open against Wake Forest.

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report