-

-

Saint Mary’s student government association introduces ‘Lemonade and Le Mans Mass’ event

| Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Instead of returning to their dorms after Wednesday Mass in the Sacred Heart Chapel in Le Mans Hall, Saint Mary’s students can now join their fellow Belles for refreshments and snacks complimentary of the Student Government Association.

Junior Terra Nelson, along with Anna Zappa, who serve on the mission committee for student government, helped organize the event with Kathy Ogden, student body vice president.

Kathy approached us in the beginning of the year about possibly creating a signature dorm Mass,” Nelson said in an email. “Anna and I loved this idea and talked to [vice president for mission] Judy Fean about starting this as soon as possible. Anna and I both wanted to create a culture of community and fellowship after weekly Wednesday Mass.”

Modeled after Notre Dame’s signature Masses, Lemonade and Le Mans Mass, was chosen to be inclusive to as many students as possible — because everyone loves lemonade, Nelson said.

“We wanted to have a late-night snack that was beloved and refreshing,” she said. “Popcorn is usually gluten free, dairy free, nut free, et cetera, making it in a healthy snack for all Belles. As for lemonade, we wanted the Mass to have a catchy saying. Lemonade and Le Mans just had a nice flow. Many dorms at Notre Dame have signature Masses — Milkshake Mass, Mass Snacks at Stanford on Sunday, et cetera — and we wanted to bring that same energy and excitement for Mass at Saint Mary’s. We could see that many Belles would travel off campus to attend Mass so we decided to bring that same love for Mass [to] our own campus.”

In each dorm at Saint Mary’s, there is a chapel, making the convenience of attending Mass high for those who live on campus. Although convenient, attending the same chapel each Mass lacks diversity of location. This event can help give those who do not live in Le Mans the chance to attend another hall’s building’s Mass.

I think [after-Mass events are] a good time for people to regroup and talk with their friends; it promotes fellowship,” first-year student Emily Tomczak said. “Having food is always an incentive, whether that is good or bad and it will draw people in to attend the service. For me, I went to see how good the lemonade was and how the service was conducted.”

While Fr. Stephen Newton said he enjoys the community-building aspect of a signature Mass, he also stresses the separation of the events.

I really appreciate it. Whatever we can do to create and sustain community around the liturgy is great,” Newton said. “It is good to have people continue what they experienced in the liturgy outside the chapel, but that event is separate and distinct from Mass. Things we have done in the past that are somewhat similar include Birthday Sunday, when we have cake after the 7 and 9 p.m. Masses in each of the dorms.”

The Lemonade and Le Mans Mass will be held every Wednesday at 9 p.m. in the Sacred Heart Chapel on the third floor of Le Mans.

About McKenzie Lookebill

Contact McKenzie