-

-

ND Women’s Lacrosse

Lynch, Notre Dame keep record spotless at Liberty

| Tuesday, February 19, 2019

The No. 20 Irish women’s lacrosse team continued its hot start Sunday, hitting the road to take down Liberty and improve to 3-0. It was senior attacker Samantha Lynch and sophomore midfielder Andie Aldave who paved the way for the Notre Dame victory offensively, picking up four goals each.

Senior attacker Nikki Ortega struck first. She came in close from the right side and quickly snuck a goal behind Liberty senior goalkeeper Katherine Widrick from just outside the eight-meter. Lynch tallied her second goal of the season next, just over 30 seconds later, on an assist from Aldave, and freshman attacker Mollie Carr quickly followed suit with a goal of her own. She cut in from the left side cruising past a number of Flames defenders before stopping a few yards short of the arc and sending a shot to the back of the net, handing Notre Dame the 3-0 lead just 4:23 into play.

Kathleen Donahue | The Observer

Notre Dame senior attacker Samantha Lynch looks to drive to the cage in Arlotta Stadium.

The Flames (2-1) quickly staged a comeback, as they scored next on an unassisted goal by junior midfielder Carly White. After a quick goal by Notre Dame’s Aldave, Liberty continued its run, scoring twice more to make the score 4-3.

Notre Dame’s next goal was one of its most impressive of the game, as Carr made a quick move from the top of the arc and passed the ball over to Lynch, who immediately turned and fired over Widrick for her second goal of the game to put the Irish up 5-3. Liberty answered right back, but Aldave put the Irish back up by two goals, following Lynch with a fast goal going into halftime.

The Irish turned on the heat coming out of the break, putting the first seven goals on the board coming out of the locker room.

Aldave completed her hat trick just over a minute into the second half, putting Notre Dame up 7-4, and Lynch did the same under a minute later. Lynch saw the open shot and took it from just outside the arc on an assist from junior attacker Jessi Masinko.

Sophomore attacker Maddie Howe scored next, charging in from the top of the arc and shoveling the ball to the left as Widrick went right, bouncing it in for the 9-4 lead.

Lynch and Aldave went back-to-back again, giving Lynch her 15th point of the season, and she side-armed a pass from junior midfielder Savannah Buchanan from the eight-meter. Freshman midfielder Hannah Dorney then lobbed a pass to Aldave, who, cutting through the arc, snuck one more goal in to give her team an 11-4 advantage.

Dorney and Ortega each followed with goals of their own to boost the Irish lead to 9, but finally, Liberty junior attacker Grace Fletcher was able to get a goal past Irish senior goalkeeper Samantha Giacolone, who made four saves on the day, ending Notre Dame’s seven-goal run.

The Flames then turned the tables and went on a run of their own, after Masinko scored next to cap Notre Dame’s scoring for the day at 14 goals. But even as the Flames scored five unanswered goals, the Irish held on for the four-goal win at 14-10.

Aldave and Masinko each finished the game with five points for the Irish — Aldave with four goals and an assist and Masinko with a goal and four assists. Aldave and Buchanan won eight and five draws, respectively, while the Irish caused a season-high 19 turnovers, three of which were forced by senior defender Makenna Pearsall.

Next up for Notre Dame is a road matchup with Ohio State on Friday at 3 p.m.

Tags: , , , , , ,