-

-

Sports

Men’s tennis improves to 8-1

| Tuesday, February 12, 2019

After falling just short to No. 14 Illinois, No. 11 Notre Dame rebounded Friday, sweeping both matches of its double-header against conference foe Boston College and in-state rival Ball State. The Irish finished their six-game homestand with a record of 5-1.

Notre Dame (8-1, 2-0 ACC) began play Friday against Boston College (4-3, 0-2) in commanding form, taking the early lead in all three doubles matches. The pairing of senior Grayson Broadus and junior Matt Gamble earned the first win of the day by a score of 6-1. Junior Guillermo Cabrera and sophomore William Howells earned the doubles point for the Irish, winning their match 6-3. Sophomores Richard Ciamarra and Tristan McCormick did not complete their match.

Allison Thornton

Irish junior Guillermo Cabrebra serves the ball in Notre Dame’s match against Boston College in Eck Tennis Pavilion Friday.

The Irish continued their strong play into singles competition, winning five out of six singles matches. Gamble recorded the first of the singles victories, winning his match 6-2, 6-1 over junior Alexander Chieffalo. Later in singles, Broadus would go on to seal the victory for Notre Dame, winning a tight match 6-2, 7-5 over junior Wills Tutecky. Notre Dame remains undefeated in ACC play with their 6-1 win over the Eagles.

In their second match of the doubleheader against Ball State (1-3), the Irish did not miss a beat, completing the sweep 7-0. In doubles, the pairing of Cabrera and Howells earned their second win of the day by the score of 6-2. Senior Daniel Rayl and junior Jonathan Small secured the doubles point for Notre Dame, winning 6-2. Sophomore Paul Gota and senior Nathan Griffin did not finish their match.

The Irish remained dominant in their singles play with five of the six courts winning in straight sets. Cabrera would need a come-from-behind effort to win his match over senior Nemanja Guzina, 4-6, 6-1, 10-6. Just as he did against Boston College, Broadus again clinched the win for the Irish, beating freshman Danilo Kovacevic 6-3, 6-4.

Notre Dame will look to carry its momentum into its road match against the University of Michigan. Doubles play will begin at noon on Feb. 23.

Tags: , , , , , , ,