-

-

ND Women’s Tennis

ND to hit the road, take on two ranked ACC opponents

| Thursday, February 28, 2019

Notre Dame will look to rebound this weekend when its takes on a pair of ranked ACC opponents on the road. The Irish (8-3, 2-1 ACC) fell in a near-comeback 4-3 loss to No. 25 Syracuse Sunday when they played the Orange at home, their first conference and home loss of the season.. This weekend, Notre Dame will have a chance to improve its ACC conference record in a pair of road matches — both in North Carolina — when they face No. 2 North Carolina in Chapel Hill on Friday and No. 23 North Carolina State in Raleigh on Sunday.

Rosie LoVoi | The Observer

Graduate student Brooke Broda reaches for wide shot inside Courtney Tennis Center in a match against North Carolina last season on April 6.

Looking ahead to this weekend, the Irish will have their hands full with the top-ranked team in the country as the Tar Heels (14-1, 2-0 ACC) are coming off of a 5-2 victory over in-state rival NC State. In only their third conference matchup of the season, the Irish are just starting to get a taste of what the ACC has to offer, as eight teams in the conference are currently in the top-25. In order to have a chance to upset the Tar Heels, Notre Dame will need to maintain its fighting spirit that was put on display in the match last Sunday. The Irish will also look to improve their doubles play to start off strong and give themselves a good opportunity on Friday. North Carolina junior Alexa Graham and freshman Cameron Morra were recently named ACC Women’s Tennis Co-Player of the Week and Co-Freshman of the Week, respectively, guaranteeing the Irish will have their hands full come Friday.

Notre Dame’s road trip will not get any easier when it travels to Raleigh for the second match in two days to face the 23rd-ranked NC State. Despite coming off of a loss at the hands of the Tar Heels, the Wolfpack (10-3, 2-1 ACC) won four matches leading up to that matchup.

Doubles play will begin for the Irish at 3 p.m. at Chapel Hill, N.C. on Friday. Following this weekend series, Notre Dame will host Louisville next weekend, before embarking on a three-game road tour.

Tags: , , , , , ,