-

-

Notre Dame announces new University trustee, fellow

| Thursday, February 7, 2019

The Notre Dame Board of Trustees appointed Fr. Daniel G. Groody as a fellow and trustee Friday, a University press released announced Thursday. Groody, a prolific author and filmmaker who works at the University an associate professor of theology and global affairs, replaces Fr. Timothy Scully, who served as a trustee for 18 years and a fellow for 16.

As one of the University’s Fellows — which consists of six lay peoples and six priests form the Congregation of Holy Cross — Groody will help elect members of the Board of Trustees and has the ability to “adopt and amend the bylaws” of the University, the release said. The Fellows are also responsible for maintaining the Catholic character of the University.

Groody graduated from Notre Dame in 1986 and holds a masters of divinity degree as well as a licentiate in sacred theology from the Jesuit School of Theology. Groody received his doctorate in theology at the Graduate Theological Union.

As an author and filmmaker, Groody’s work focuses on the theology of migration and refugees issues. From 2007 to 2008, he worked as a visiting research fellow at Oxford University’s Refugee Studies Centre. In 2010, Groody received the Catholic Charities Centennial medal.

Groody received the Rev. Edmund P. Joyce, C.S.C., Award for Sustained Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching in 2011 for his work in the theology department.

About Observer Staff Report

Contact Observer Staff Report