-

-

Saint Mary’s hosts First Year Parents’ Weekend

| Monday, February 11, 2019

Over the weekend, Saint Mary’s welcomed first-year parents to the campus as a part of its annual First Year Parents’ Weekend.

First Year Parents’ Weekend began in 2015 as a way for students and their parents to spend quality time together on and off campus after students’ first semester of college. The event was hosted by the first year class council.

The weekend kicked off Friday night with registration and an opening reception. Saturday morning, parents and students enjoyed go-karting and bowling at Strikes and Spares Entertainment Center. Saturday afternoon consisted of a “Surviving Sophomore Year” seminar and mass at the Church of Our Lady of Loretto. The weekend closed with dinner at the Hilton Garden Inn on Saturday evening.

First year class council representative Emma Berges said she was excited to show her parents around campus and introduce them to her friends and their parents as well.

“My parents traveled from Fairfield, Conn.,” she said. “They’ve visited me here before, but this weekend was a lot more fun because all the other parents were here too. It was exciting to introduce them to my friends’ parents.”

First year Abby Schreck also said she was eager to have her parents experience part of her daily life at the College.

“I was most looking forward to introducing them to more people and spending time eating out together,” Schreck said. “It was also fun because my mom went to Saint Mary’s and my dad went to Notre Dame, so we spent a lot of time comparing our college experiences.”

First year Emily Mack said she believes First Year Parents’ Weekend is an important opportunity to bond with one’s family.

“It’s important because our parents play a big role in our lives,” she said. “Parents support and encourage us to do our best in school. This weekend gives us a chance to have them support us while having fun.”

Mack said she was able to spend quality time with her mom while also having fun, with the highlight of her weekend being the trip to Strikes and Spares and go-karting with her mom.

“I miss my mom so much already,” Mack said. “I almost cried when I gave her a goodbye hug.”

First Year Parents’ Weekend not only allows students to spend quality time with their parents, but also gives students an opportunity to show their parents their lives at college. First year Olivia Morrissey recently redecorated her room and said she was excited to show her mom.

“Even though my mom helped me set up my new room and get settled in at the beginning of the semester, she was really excited to see it a few weeks later after it had been lived in and felt like my new home,” Morrissey said. “The rug had fluffed out, the TV was set up, and new pictures had been put on the walls. She was really glad to see my new space and I was glad to show her around.”

About Kathleen Meyer

Contact Kathleen